News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Possible Mechanical Issues with 2004 Seville

Started by BJM, January 20, 2018, 10:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I looked at a fairly clean 2004 Seville today with only 98,000 miles. Red with Beige Leather. What are the common mechanical issues with this late Seville? 

Dave Shepherd

The Northstar engine, great performer, but prone to oil leaks and head bolt/head gasket issues, both very expensive repairs.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I assume that it was around $3-4K... (Or less).
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

D.Smith

Dave Shepherd nailed it.     The Northstar cars are now in the same class of reliability and investment as the HT4100 cars.   Never spend more for one than you are willing to walk away from. 

76eldo

Ditto.  Been there and done it.

Spend a little more and get something 2006 or newer.  Much more reliable.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

ithaca1230

I had a 2001 STS for about 5 years. Great driver! At around 150,000 miles it started leaking oil pretty good and it stared rusting so got rid of it. I loved driving that car!

BJM

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on January 21, 2018, 08:14:52 AM
I assume that it was around $3-4K... (Or less).

She is asking $2500 obo and I was going to offer $2000.  I am in no hurry to get another car, but the needs are 1. driver for my 16 year old daughter back and forth to high school and part time job, 2. car that I can participate in with the local chapter of the CLC, and 3. car to be used when one of our other cars are in the shop.

Car has 98,000 miles, is a one FAMILY car, and the lady who has it now of course thinks it not cool and is not being used. 

I found one starter spot of rust on rear quarter, I mean so small I am sure I can live with it for a few years and I do not think it will spread.  I grabbed the VIN and want to check with the Cadillac dealer.  She said no records, you know - she just does not care. 

The car has a decent interior and body just needs washed and waxed.  I would send it for detail job.  I heard a slight chirp from the belt area.  Alternator?  Not sure, packed in tight.  Brake fluid looked good, the coolant warning light is stuck, but gauge works. 

Not sure what else I can get for $2000, with 98,000 miles, heated front and rear seats, etc.  I hate the post Seville-Eldorado Cadillacs styling so am not going newer. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My brother has an '06 of the same model. (He's the one who buys them new two at a time. When they had the deal finalized for the STS, my sister-in-law said, "What can you do for me on the CRX?) When we went to the Purdue football game with them last fall, he is still not "looking" for a car. He hasn't had any major problems with it, so I think you can do OK with this one. You ought to take it home for $2200 or so."

Oh, and make sure your daughter is on your AAA card...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Barry
Market is soft, and I am a haggler.  I think the car on the surface is a nice $2500 car. I think WHOLESALE might even be in that $1700 to $2000 range.    My issue for "low balling" is lack of records.  It's my understanding that if it needs oil leak repairs, or the starter needs replaced or alternator, it renders the car upside down IMMEDIATELY.   So with it being a one owner/family car I am not happy that there are no repair records. 

I am going to try and get to the dealer this afternoon and hope a service advisor will help with the VIN.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I'm hoping for you, just was mentioning what would probably have happened were it me. And you do have a good bargaining point. If nothing else, I shove the bills in the glove box, or if it's on the collector cars, I try to put them in a folder on the computer. Your daughter ought to at least think the color is cool. Her friends will probably rag her for a while about "the whale" or other derogatory name. I remember my nephew complaining about driving his dad's Olds Cutlass station wagon. Bill just replied, "Hey, it's got gas in it and wheels that go round and round doesn't it?"
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harry s

I bought an '04 SLS five years ago with 35K miles, one owner and now have 86K. The only two issues since owning are a defective side mirror adjustment switch and master cylinder reservoir level sensor. On the other hand a friend and fellow CLC member bought an '04 SLS about the same time I did with 50K or so and had nothing but trouble with it. Some his problems were bad intake manifold gasket, rack & pinion replacement, radiator replace, water pump and on & on. None of the Northstar related problems for either of us. He sold his car a few months ago. You never know.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

BJM

Thanks Harry. Quality is the ability to consistently deliver value and peace of mind in ownership. Your 2 examples are part of the problem.  For the one I am considering, the fact it has gotten this far and started and ran well is good. 

harry s

...the rest of the story is I had looked at the car my friend ended up with and luckily for me the one I bought came along and saved me from his agony.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum