News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Beware “new” ‘58-‘62 water pumps

Started by David Greenburg, January 25, 2018, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I’ll put this out there as a heads up for anyone needing a ‘58-‘62 water pump. There are pumps out there here being advertised as “new, heavy duty casting,” sometime under the “Falcon” brand.  The same pump supposedly fits all of these years, with or without a/c.  I had one of these pumps installed on my ‘60 by the well-intentioned but misinformed shop in Las Vegas that repaired my car when it broke down on the way to the 2016 GN.  They recommended this pump because it was new, supposedly heavy duty, and not much more than a rebuilt pump.  The casting is certainly more robust (and looks different from the original for folks concerned about that), but I’m not aware of there being issues with the original castings.  And the internals appear to be garbage; the bearings in mine failed a few weeks ago; that would be after about a year and a half, and probably no more than 1200 miles. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Caddyholic

I don't see how one size fits all ac/ non-ac. The pulley flange is thicker on the ac cars to offset the pulley. Are your belts in a slight bind?     
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

David Greenburg

All is good now because i have a rebuilt original pump, but I wondered the same thing when I first looked at replacing it.  In retrospect, I did notice a slight “wobble” in the pulley with the old pump, which could have been caused by the pulley being slightly off as a result of the hub thickness being “one size fits all.”  That possibly could contribute to premature bearing wear as well.  Another reason to stay away.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

A tip if you find yourself in need of a quick rebuild somewhere is to try and find a place that works on industrial engines like tractors, pumps, and generators.   If they don't rebuild pumps in house they likely have a place they send them to and the turn around is usually quick because they are used to commercial customers that can't have their equipment down.  I am told that the innards of 'old' water pumps are all pretty similar, many apparently used the same bearings and seals so a shop that works on older stuff likely has the parts on hand.   New industrial stuff is apparently still that way, they make em to be repaired, not just replaced like cars have been for years now.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gene harl

try the Flying Dutchman in Or. ... he has a 1 or 2 day turn around..  he also has a super duper  impeller that moves alot of water.. fixed my low speed heating problem on my 59....
   Gene Harl       CLC22406