News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado back window - difference between vinyl and non vinyl top window?

Started by nick.stratta, January 31, 2018, 05:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick.stratta

Hello All,
A question - does anyone know if there is a difference between the actual glass for the back window on a '78 Eldorado (or 75-78 for that matter) between vinyl and non vinyl top car?
I have a vinyl top heated rear window 78 Eldo that a tree fell on in a storm and smashed the rear window.  I've found a supplier with a rear window for a non vinyl top car and I'm guessing it will fit since I can't think GM made an Eldorado with 2 different sized holes for the glass. I know the moldings are different and the vinyl top window had pockets in the vinyl for the glass to fit in - but is the back glass physically the same size? ie: can I use a non-vinyl top window in a vinyl top 78 Eldorado?
Please advise
Many thanks Nick Stratta
CLC Ireland 23023
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Nick,

I would say that the back glass is the same for both styles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

nick.stratta

G'day Bruce - morning!
Yes I would have through so too but the interchange manual says no - I've never seen a tin top post '70 Eldorado!
Dammed storms - why couldn't it have hit a Ford or something :) 
Nick
regards & thanks Nick
CLC 23023, CLCMRC Museum benefactor 113

smokuspollutus

The hole in the roof itself is the same and the glass will physically fit the car. However, vinyl top cars have a "tinted" portion that is covered by the vinyl and extra interior trim. On close inspection, especially from the inside, it might look a little funny because the glass blackout doesn't exactly match where the top and trim end, there is a little black overlap to give a more finished look. Fortunately the lions share of these cars had vinyl tops (and body rot to match!) so I would imagine sourcing a good used one isn't impossible.

Is your car a Biarritz or a base model shown in the photo?

jagbuxx #12944

Having reviewed 2 GM parts manuals, they show only 2 part numbers, one with defrost and the other without. Hope that helps
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.