News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 Cadillac Eldorado hub cap question

Started by Crow331, February 03, 2018, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow331

I'm trying to match this hub cap but I'm having a hard time locating it. Do you think that the emblem was at one time colored?  To me it doesn't look like it, but maybe that's why I can't find it.

Any good hub cap sources out there for a 1974 Cadillac Eldorado?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I think someone had an extra can of silver spray bomb paint... Cadillac crests are generally painted in red/white/yellow-orange, black, and blue. You should have no particular problem in obtaining a nice set of wheel covers for your car on eBay.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TJ Hopland

There were the year(s) where it wasn't an attached emblem, 72 and or 73 maybe where it was embossed and not colored.  Seems plausible that when they went to the emblem they could have stayed with the plain theme.   Wasn't 74 or 75 the see through hood ornament that also wasn't colored?       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Crow331

a ha!  That makes total sense, thanks! My car is from the movie True Romance and there is a lot of weird stuff that has been done to this car, (like PAINTING the dash white!), probably by the movie production company for one reason or another.

Why does the EBAY listing specifically say "This is a very hard hubcap to find, especially unpainted" ... unpainted???  like mine?

Thanks for the EBAY link! Now I need 2 more!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have noted that on cars used in the movies, things get changed so as to not make unwanted reflections during filming. In the movie, The Killers, which made a star out of Burt Lancaster, there was a 1941 Cadillac Series 60S used and I noticed that some of the windshield trim had been dulled by (probably) silver paint. That is what happened on your car. I would save the wheel covers as trophies. Burt was asked to check the oil, and they left the lady "up" between takes. But he did raise the hood and "check" it. You could hear the "snick" that the dip stick makes as it slides down the tube.

The late Past President Carl Steig was "in" the movie "Tucker." He was like the old timer that sat in a movie theater all day watching a scene showing young ladies skinny-dipping in a pond. They were blanked out by a train coming by. When asked why he stayed all day, he said, "One of these times, that train is going to be late." Carl's 41-60S was shown up to the "A" pillar and no more. If his face had been shown, they would have had to pay him "scale" for the day. So, no matter how many times you watch the movie, you won't see Carl.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Crow331

Ha!  Thanks Barry!

Yeah I also found a busted rear reflector in the trunk that was also painted silver. I could actually spot the painted reflector in a few scenes. More confirmation that I have the right car.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: Crow331 on February 04, 2018, 01:13:15 AM
Why does the EBAY listing specifically say "This is a very hard hubcap to find,
Seems like everything is "hard to find" or "rare" on those sights. To me that just tells me it is a part flipper and the price will be higher than it should be.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Eldorado James

Hello,

It's not a 1974 Eldorado wheel cover.....it's a 1977-78 that has been stripped of the color insert....that's why it's dull looking.  I have a few dozen 1974-75 Eldorado wheel covers available, as well as all of the crest/emblems.  I'd be happy to help you.  Pic attached of a 1974 Eldorado wheel cover (brushed finish, recessed circular line).  I also have stripped 1977-78's if you want to match what you have....and I have other options too, lol.  Hollanders fails to realize the differences between all of the 1974-78 Eldorado wheel covers.

Regards,
EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Crow331

Thanks James, Mine looks like the '74 in your picture except it's painted. The whole thing is dull, not just the emblem. Where is the 77-78 that you mention, I want to compare.

I want it to match the one I currently have. I'm planning on spray painting it as well! (don't hate, I'm trying to match the movie. Ha!)

I could use 3 or possibly 4 of these. I kind of want to put the one that I have on the car because I suspect it's movie original, even though it's pretty dinged up.

Let me know!  Do you have a website or ?

Eldorado James

Take a closer look.....they are cousins.  The later ones, like yours, have a raised trim ring...and they are unpolished stainless.  The 1974 has a sunken ring (was not intended for paint) and has a brushed finish.  Yours were sprayed over so you might not see that as readily...  Attached are pics of the 1974 and what yours look like unpainted (1977-78).

I'd agree though....since that car is unique historically you should match what the car looked like in the movie.  I have those as well (1977-78) that are stripped and ready for paint.  You can transfer existing emblems or I have them...used and NOS.

Feel free to email me directly.   Caddypartz@yahoo.com   (Copy and paste that, unique spelling!)  I have all variations of 1967-78 Eldorado wheel covers available.

Regards
James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Crow331

This looks like mine, yes?

It's hard to tell with reflections and angles but I think this is one for me.

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a cap with one tiny blemish, otherwise dent/scrape free-needs repaint.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Crow331

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on February 07, 2018, 01:42:02 AM
I have a cap with one tiny blemish, otherwise dent/scrape free-needs repaint.

How much Jeff?  Where you located?  Shipping?

Thanks!

Crow331

Hey Jeff, I got the hub!  Will look great after a paint job, thanks!  Did you get my email about the other one?

jetboi550

This guy seems to have everything for the 1971 - 1976 cars.  If it's not listed contact him and I bet he has it.
  https://www.ebay.com/sch/caddypartz/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=