News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fire-Frost paint

Started by D.Smith, February 06, 2018, 07:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Jim Powers sent me this photo from a 67 Data Book he picked up.  It gives a good description of the optional "Fire-Frost" paint.

Being a process applied to standard colors, my question is: How would the body tag be coded?   Would the standard color number be shown?  the standard color number plus an extra letter for the option?   or just a SO number?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If I'm interpreting the question correctly - So long as the paint is a standard color for the model year, the paint code is the only alert. Fire Frost was used in 1963 only; the term was changed to "Firemist" beginning in 1964 for extra cost colors.

Fire Frost / Firemist paint was offered in six specific colors only for a given model year. There were no Fire Frost/Firemist versions of standard paint colors. 

Special Order paint colors would be indicated by 00 on the Data tag.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

This 67 page indicates that "Fire-Frost" was an option different than the extra cost "Firemist".   Stating it was 3 times more expensive than the extra cost colors.   Extra cost colors being the "Firemist" ones.   

It also indicated you could get "Fire-Frost" on any translucent colors.   So the "Fire-Frost" sounds more like a pricey upgrade to a standard color.    For those that the limited  "Firemist" offerings didn't satisfy. 

No doubt the cost kept demand low.   

From the RRCLC Database complied by Ralph Messina.

If the color is not contained in this list, it is simply a Special Order paint color which is assigned code "00".

Although the last 5 colors are shown as "Firemist", I don't think that terminology is technically correct. They are Fire-Frost colors. There is difference between the two. Fire-Frost was not available after 1963 (exc by Special Order).

Paint 1963
Color Color Name
Comb. No.
10 Ebony Black
12 Aspen White
14 Nevada Silver Metallic
16 Cardiff Gray Metallic
22 Benton Blue Metallic
24 Basque Blue Metallic
26 Somerset Blue Metallic
29 Torino Turquoise Metallic
32 Basildon Green Metallic
36 Brester Green Metallic
44 Bahama Sand
46 Fawn Metallic
47 Palomino Metallic
48 Briar Rose Metallic
50 Matador Red Metallic
52 Royal Maroon Metallic
92* Frost Silver Firemist
94* Frost Aquamarine Firemist
96* Frost Green Firemist
97* Frost Gold Firemist
98* Frost Red Firemist
* Standard on Eldorados, optional on other models at extra cost
~Two digit paint code indicates single tone
~Four digit paint code: xxyy indicates xx Lower, yy Upper
~ Note: Special Order paint colors, denoted on dataplate by paint codes "O" or "OO",
available at extra cost. Paint must be compatible with methods and procedueres
used in normal manufacturing paint process.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Dave,

I’ve seen the reference to “Fire-Frost” colors several times but never a definitive explanation. From the referenced excerpt I’d say the color would be listed as “OO” on the body plate since they were treated as a special order.

FWIW, my best guess is that “Fire-Frost” was a secondary translucent layer of clear lacquer tinted with the base paint.  For example: paint the body with Tropic Green Firemist then apply an appropriate number of coats of Tropic Green Firemist diluted 200, 300 or “X” number of times with clear lacquer. My first ’66 was Crystal Firemist that had a bare metal strip and repaint in the factory color lacquer. It also had 3 coats of clear . It had the correct color but the paint looked much better, richer and deeper than the standard factory finish. The clear coat evens out the metallic particle dispersion and orientation making body panels appear more uniform. It also allowed the surface to be wet sanded  before buffing creating a glossy finish. Tinting the clear coats was the magic that Barris and Larry Watson et.al. used to create the dazzling “Candy Apple” effects of 50-60’s customs. This technique can be used when working with any all lacquer system because the paint layers are miscible . However the effective difference is best seen with metallics as compared opaque solid colors.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

I cannot comment on the paint application process for the various finishes being discussed here, ie: standard metallic, Firemist & Fire-Frost, but I can comment of the appearance- which is the metallic effect is much more pronounced in Fire-Frost, which contains a relatively heavy content of silver flake which give it a "Frost-like" appearance just as the name suggests.

With Firemist colors, the metallic is more finely done in complimentary colors that add extra brilliance over the standard metallic colors although some of those come very close in appearance to true Firemist as well.

Personally, I've always preferred Firemist to the Fire-Frost variants of 1963, which looked a bit "cruder" (for lack of a better word) to my eyes. Perhaps it was for this reason, coupled with the added expense, that Fire-Frost was discontinued.