News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

looking for Mechanic

Started by Eze, February 15, 2018, 03:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eze

I have a 1967 Cadillac Deville convertible it is all stock and has a 429 engine that I like to have some work on it currently when I start the car it feels like the idle is to high also after I drive it for like 20 minutes when I turn it off the car gives me a hard time to start back up it almost sounds like I have a dead battery it cranks over very slowly I have to let it sit for like an hour or longer for it to cool down then it cranks over fine. I need a Cadillac professional who has worked on these cars all their life can someone please tell me if they know of someone or a place that they can recommend. 
Eze does it 1967 Cadillac deville

D.Yaros

As I am sure someone shall point out, for meaningful assistance, it would help to know your location.  Your profile references the "Windy City."  Could one safely assume you are in the Chicago area?

Are you a CLC member?  If so, put this question to the folks at your region chapter.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Eldorado James

Have you removed the battery when it does this and used another?  That would help define the source.  Is your grounding strap good?
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

bcroe

Quote from: Ezealso after I drive it for like 20 minutes when I turn it off the car gives me a hard time to start back up it almost sounds like I have a dead battery it cranks over very slowly I have to let it sit for like an hour or longer for it to cool down then it cranks over fine.   

I suggest you do a simple test on your starter system.  Turn on the
interior lights, and note if they stay reasonably bright when you first
start the car.  Later when you try to start the car hot, note again if
the lights are the same.  If the lights stay up, your battery is
delivering power, but the starter isn't using it.  This could be caused
by a somewhat loose connection in the starter circuit, or possibly
worn out brushes in the starter.  I tend to check brushes on any old
car, not difficult or expensive. 

If the lights go out, it could be a weak battery or poor connection
to the battery. 

Another test, I'd use the starter some seconds, then immediately jump
out and see if any wires or connections in the starter wiring are warm. 
If so, that is probably your loose connection.  Esp good on battery posts. 
good luck,
Bruce Roe

James Landi

Making sure that the battery is in good shape with a load tester is certainly a start.  ALso, I recall that my 67 had a bad cable that "looked" good because a corroded copper cable was buried in a flexible plastic wrapping... so start with the easy stuff.  Battery--- both cables  (all mentioned above)

If the battery is DELIVERING full current to the starter, then, as mentioned in the last post, the starter may be weak....  finally, check the timing.  If the distributor has been moved too far advanced, a warm engine will be hard starting.

Eldorado James

Good point, if the engine is running a bit hotter than it should, the starter/solenoid will also get hotter due to the proximity....metal expands when hot, and maybe that is making the starter grumpy......but I'd check all the wiring/cables/connections/ground strap and test the battery when the condition occurs.  Hopefully you can narrow it down fast and not have to hire a mechanic.
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Scot Minesinger

I'm from the Washington DC area with a metropolitan population in excess of 6 million.  No good mechanics here that I could find.  Out of necessity had to become my own best mechanic. 

In fairness to shops, what makes it so difficult is that our cars need to be stored inside and often you get into a repair and wait a few days for parts with car partially apart.  No professional shop can be ready for that kind of work as infrequently as it comes and tie up money making space profitably.  Even a $3 gasket can stop car repairs for a few days, then shops make one that day to get the job done, it leaks, warranty, frustration, and you get it...

This repair is likely an electrical connection issue, weak starter, heat shield failure, weak battery. or etc. - not too bad really, as suggested by forum.  This would be a good project to start becoming your own best mechanic.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty