News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 series 62 shock removal help

Started by mooman929, February 16, 2018, 10:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooman929

Hello I'm about ready to change my shocks on my 53 series 62.  The really bounces up and down when i hit a bump and just seems soft.  The back looks easy but the front look a bit confusing.  It appears the front shock is inside the coil spring.  Any idea where to start to remove the shock absorber?  Thanks in advance

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Ross, It's pretty straight forward. There's a single nut and bushing on the top. Remove those first. On the bottom, there are two bolts holding a mounting bracket. Remove the top nut and bushing first and then remove the two bolts from the bottom mounting bracket. You can then drop the old shocks out the bottom. Get the car up on jack stands enough to get enough clearance to drop the shocks down and out. Once out, remove the bottom bracket from the shock. Again, a single nut and bushing. To install, reverse the procedure. Make sure you pull the new shocks out as far as they will go before you begin. It will be very helpful if you have two people. One to fish the new shocks up from the bottom through the spring and another set of eyes to help guide them up through the top hole. I just went out to look at the job on my car. On the passenger side, you may want to swing the generator up as far as possible to get at the top nut. On the drivers side, the top nut is buried under the blower motor and duct. However, there is enough room to get the job done without moving anything, just a little more difficult. Good luck!
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

mooman929

Thank you very much for the help.  I looked over it briefly and it looked as if the control arm would have to be removed but I see the plate the had 2 bols in it underneath.  Any chance the springs might be shot or more likely it's the shocks?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I have only done a few shocks myself but I have found the top nut to be just about welded on the shock shaft. When you try to loosen it the whole shaft turns. Some of them have a flat spot at the top of the shaft where you can put a wrench on them. Either way I suggest you start soaking the top nut asap to make it easier. That worked well on the 70. I haven't done the 55's yet.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

35-709

"Any chance the springs might be shot or more likely it's the shocks?"

If it is bouncing up and down, you need shocks.  Not to say the springs aren't weak though, your shop manual will have the ride heights and where to measure them.

The '53 shop manual is a supplement to the '52 so you will need both.  Here is a reprint that includes both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-1953-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL/162704405533?hash=item25e1f0341d:g:OSYAAOSwnHZYh7lE&vxp=mtr
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

mooman929

Thank you for the replies!  I'll try tackling the job here in the next couple weeks.