News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Goddess removal process

Started by Justin Norwood, February 17, 2018, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Norwood

Please forgive a simple question...but what is the proper way to remove the rivets/pins on a '47 flying goddess hood ornament so that you can get it out of the hood? (pic attached) I am to the point where I am banging on it a bit harder than I probably should! ;)

Thanks in advance
-Justin
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Justin Norwood

Is there a special tool for pushing out these rivets?

bullet bob

Are you sure you need to remove the rivets? On my '53 it was just a 'couple bolts?
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Jeff Hansen

Don't remove the rivets and please don't bang on it!   :)   The Goddess and it's hinge mechanism come out as one piece.  Take note of the bolt to the rear of the Goddess in your photo.

The assembly is bolted to the hood and slides into the end of the chrome strip that runs down the center of the hood.  That means you'll have to loosen that center strip in order to lift it up to slide the Goddess assembly forward.  You may need to remove the strip and the Goddess as a unit.

You don't want to damage the Goddess or bend the center strip.  Take your time.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Roger Zimmermann

In other words: it that piece came in at the factory, it must go out without modifications.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Justin Norwood

Haha!  ;D Yes, I know that the center trim strip on the hood had to come off, and that the bolt in the goddess also had to come off. I had done both...but the goddess wouldn't seem to come out of the hole in the hood. I put that one bolt back in when I decided to come inside for the day and ask you guys for advice.  ;)

For other's benefit:
The guys on here are right -- the goddess WILL come out of the hood without taking the rivets out. THANK GOD! In my case, the clearance was EXTREMELY LOW and it took about 20 mins of playing with it to figure out how to slide it out...but it eventually came out. It was kinda like playing with one of those puzzles at Cracker Barrel!

Bonus info:
I not only needed the goddess out, I need to rechrome her. Since she is in three major pieces, and three rivets hold her together -- those rivets ended up coming out anyway. You can't push them out, so here is what I did:
1) use a die grinder to smooth out the back of the rivets until they are flush with the goddess body (the back = the smaller side)
2) drill a ~1/8th hole into the back side of each of the three rivets. only drill 3/4 of the way down though. leave some meat on the front of the rivet for step #3
3) use a punch and a hammer to knock out the rivets, using the hole/indention that you created when you drilled.

-Justin

Chuck Swanson

Just curious, wouldn't it be easier to chrome the whole piece with the rivets....and maybe just optionally remove the chrome from the bottom part when done? (vs trying to find original rivets?)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

The Tassie Devil(le)

Platers won't plate parts that are together.   Too much trouble not getting the "together" parts clean so they don't contaminate their vats.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon