News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Sixty Special Owned By Clark Gable's Wife?

Started by Chuck Patton, February 18, 2018, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Patton

Experts

I completed a 17 car collection appraisal today in Los Angeles, California. My Client informed me that this vehicle was purchased Clark Gable for one of his five wives.  However he had zero supporting documentation.  What do the experts here think...fact or fiction?
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

harry s

Chuck, I'm no expert but do have a similar situation. I have a 1941 Cadillac  Series 6733 that is reported to have been originally owned by Betty Grable. It was delivered in Nov, '40 at Hillcrest Motors in Beverly Hills. I don't have any documentation showing her ownership but I have talked to owners back to the early 50s and they all confirm the story but no docs. I've done quite a bit of research off and on but nothing yet. As far a value I don't think it makes a lot of difference with these older cars owned by stars that many don't know of. It does make for good conversation. I will be curious to see what others think.
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

If it is true, that wife would have to be Carole Lombard. They were married in 1939.

Chuck Patton

Hello Harry

I appreciate your comment.  The second issue is the side mounts. All of the vehicle factory data plates on automobiles I have appraised had a 6W designation.  This car does not.
Past CLCMRC Director
CLC Life Member #23147

gary griffin

I am sure a lot of our cars were originally owned by famous people. The legend following my 1942  67-19 is that it was purchased by Bing Crosby for his ranches in Nevada. It left Detroit Dec-3 1941 and was delivered to dealer in Reno which is the general vicinity of his ranches and the legend is that he donated it for the war effort.  What I do know is that it was owned by the army and at Wendover base during WW-2 .  It was sold at military auction in 1951 and I have been told by Millard Crafts who was at the auction that the auctioneer said it was from Bings ranch.

It had an unusual paint job and next time I am down that way I will be going to the Wendover historical office and see what I can find out there. I was told that they have thousands of pictures I could review.

Just a fun thing to research.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Chuck Patton

Hello Gary

I appreciate your response.  You did a masterful job of researching your vehicle.
Past CLCMRC Director
CLC Life Member #23147