News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dye a convertible or roadster top?

Started by 76eldo, February 19, 2018, 08:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

Have you ever done it and what did you use?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

Quote from: 76eldo on February 19, 2018, 08:43:33 PM
Have you ever done it and what did you use?

Brian,
90% of my cars have been convertibles, and that's an awful lot of cars! I never once entertained the thought to attempt that process. Would it even be worth it, and how would it hold up in the long run? In all honesty, it sounds like more trouble that it's worth. I'm sure someone else will chime in that did it 20 years ago and it still looks as good as new  ::)... What would the purpose of a color change be? Most basic colors are compatible with just about all body colors, unless of course, so PO did something totally outrageous and it just kills the whole car. I'm curious....
                                                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

76eldo

I recently acquired a nice straight 76 Eldorado.  The car is black with a white top and white leather.  The top has no excessive wear but is white and is pretty dingy.  Black tops look great on black Eldo's so I would consider dyeing in black.  The white seems like it would clean up.

Same problem on the roadster top on my '07 DTS.  It's tan and doesn't clean up very well.  I think it would take to being dyed better than the convertible top.

I am just wondering if there is a high quality product on the market for this purpose.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bobby B

Quote from: 76eldo on February 19, 2018, 09:36:16 PM
I am just wondering if there is a high quality product on the market for this purpose.

Brian,
I'm sure you already did your homework. If not, check out some of these articles. Interesting.....Sems say "No", but it seems others have done it. Wouldn't hurt to try some products on scraps made out of the same material. Please Post what you come up with if you try it. Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                               Bobby
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Uo2LWuzAF6yf_QbvhojICw&q=dyeing+a+convertible+top+with+sems+products&oq=dyeing+a+convertible+top+with+sems+products&gs_l=psy-ab.12...11717.16643.0.18555.19.19.0.0.0.0.73.1051.19.19.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.18.1001...0i22i30k1j0i8i13i30k1j33i22i29i30k1j33i160k1.0.bmMLoUThobk
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Eldorado James

Have you tried the Bleech White (tire whitewall cleaner) on the top?  That usually jumps it up a few notches....medium strength brush and a lot of elbow grease.

I've seen cars with dye jobs that show through at the fold lines....of course, they may be 10-15 years old too.  Or, possibly the dye was not applied properly.....surface preparation essential since vinyl technically is made to repel everything.  Probably should use a commercial grade vinyl spray (via compressor/spray gun) to get a deep finish...several coats.  Never done it (on seats-yes, on tops -- no) personally but that seems to be the best way for a good looking outcome.

EJ
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

76eldo

SEM works great on interior parts but not on something like a convertible top.

I just spoke to one of the shops I deal with for tops and upholstery and he said there really isn't anything that will do what I am looking to do.

As I thought, scrubbing with Spray Nine or Wesley's while keeping the paint wet to avout staining is what I will have to do to make the top as white as possible.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carl Fielding

Look into Surflex , Brian. I used it on the top of my '24 Cad almost 30 years ago. One coat. It has remained so well that I used it on the '27 which you have seen. I got it from Bill Hirsch back then , but he has another product now. When I called and talked to him for the '27 , he informed me that I could get the Surflex on-line. I did so. Call him and talk to him personally about your particular needs. As you probably know , he is a great guy. Surflex is extremely easy to use , so if there was a need to apply a second coat several years down the line , this should not be a deal breaker. It would be a good idea to prepare by scrubbing the top well with a pure soap (Ivory Snow , Woolite) , and then a good wipe with generous amounts of industrial grade ethyl alcohol. In addition to talking to Bill , obviously have this discussion with your top and upholstry guys. The top on the '24 is the original (the headliner too !!!!) , and I want to preserve it. Now getting close to 100 years old , the top is still presentable but subject to cracking if mistreated. I never wash it , just wipe. I never put it down , and go to extremes to limit exposure to direct sunlight. Please let us know what Bill and your guys say. I am sure others in your position would be interested. Good luck , my friend.

I hope our paths cross again. Sadly , circumstances will not let me get to Texas this year. If it had been possible , I would have driven the off-road modified '71 Eldo droptop. With modifieds welcomed as never before , it probably would generate considerable respect. Particularly considering the several trips up and down Baja , and the epic 20,000 mile adventure all over all varieties of Mexican turf the first 1/2 of '83. In a certain sense though , the ragged relic is in a class of its own. I better find some pics. Somewhere or another I think I still may have the bashed and battered first transmission pan which got replaced by the spare I carried. Tells the story better than words !  - CC

76eldo

Thanks Carl.  I will look into that.

I can't get the the GN this year either.  I am taking a trip to San Francisco and Oakland and I can only take off so much time.  I'm self employed but getting someone to cover my customers for emergencies is tough,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv