News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Shimmy on '91 Seville

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, February 20, 2018, 03:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

About ten days ago, someone responded to one of my posts and mentioned something about tires and front end shimmy on my car. I've had it aligned, new Cooper tires and balanced and it still wiggles at 57-58 MPH. Today I had him bring the back tires to the front and it's not quite as bad, but I wouldn't want to take a long trip in the car yet. I do have "real" wires on the car.

Any words of wisdom?

I'm also needing a re-fill on the AC. Is that "replacement" for R-12 any good, or should I just swap to R-134 and lose a point in judging?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

tripwire

I think I'd be looking for a set of 4 wheels and tires to swap with the ones currently mounted. If this resolves the problem you now know where to look.  Add your wheels back one at a time to test which one or ones bring the shimmy back.

Wes in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

Dave Shepherd

Great advice Wes, aftermarket wire wheels can be problemstic with both lateral and  horizontal runout.  Usually this is seen visually during the wheel balance..