News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cardboard Leather seat softener?

Started by rehearse, February 25, 2018, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rehearse

Hello!,
First post. I just picked up a great 1964 Fleetwood, 8/10 maybe. White leather seats are hard... is there anyway to soften them up? Ive searched this forum and wasted way too much time on google trying to see if its a waste of time. Has anyone had any luck? Thanks!
64 Fleetwood 60 Special

35-709

You might like to read the Leatherique site at --- http://www.leatherique.com/   or call them, recommended by the Rolls Royce Owners Club.  There are others --- surprised you didn't find anything using the SEARCH function here, this subject comes up often enough.  Good luck with your new car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carl Fielding

I have used Leatherique only to detail my 6 liter V12 Brand X. Lots of high end detainers use it. For stiff old (VERY old) , leather , I have used Lexol cleaner , and Lexol conditioner. I can't say from experience which would work better in your case. I am curious. The Lexol worked well. Everyone in the know back then used it. I will generally stay with a product only until someone can prove there is something better. There is nothing better than the best for any given task. That is why I say I am curious. Maybe you can do a side by side test. Please let us know how you get on in any case.  - Carl

Cape Cod Fleetwood

X2 for Lexol, I had horses. You can get it at any horse supply store.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

The Tassie Devil(le)

I always wondered how they made the horses nice and soft.   Must use that stuff to "Break them in"?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 26, 2018, 12:35:27 AM
I always wondered how they made the horses nice and soft.   Must use that stuff to "Break them in"?

Bruce. >:D

LOL!
\m/
Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

David Greenburg

Another vote for Leatherique here.  Great stuff, although AFAIK, it’s only available by mail from the source, unlike Lexol, which is available at most auto parts and hardware stores.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

64\/54Cadillacking

Lexol conditioner won’t soften that hard of leather, you might want to use something with heavy amounts of oil that’s going to penetrate deep inside and the only thing that will work is something heavy and thick, such as Griots Garage Leather Rejuvenator.

This stuff has worked great for in my other cars, including my leather couch at home.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+rejuvenator+8+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Carl Fielding

Also , Restoration Supply Company has a specific softening product which seems to be extremely good for your purpose. I have not used it , but think I will give it a try. Call and interrogate them.  800-306-7008. Again , please keep us informed.  - Carl

chrisntam

Leatherique didn't work for me, unless I'm doing it wrong, which I don't think I am.

I'll try one of the other products suggested.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Caddyjack

The black leather seats in my 1991 Allante were pretty stiff when I bought it. I was able to soften them noticeably using baseball glove conditioner and a lot of elbow grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Pro-Stock-Glove-Conditioner/dp/B0000ARCTM/
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Carl Fielding

Yes , baseball glove stuff (neatsfoot oil) , will soften your leather. It will also aid in stretching it. That is what helps it beat a pocket into the mitt. Some folk like to stretch a pocket in the shape of their left ear into their drivers seat. You just lie sideways across the front seat and keep slapping the left side of your head into the seat bottom while occasionally applying another dose of 'foot. Probably better to get a product specifically engineered for your needs. Better living through chemistry. I had a feeling Leatherique was a high end detailing product , not a softener. Give Restoration Supply a call , and ask them why their product is better than all the rest. Hmmmm , ya know , I am getting so curious about this that I think I can spare a dime for a call before the week is out , or I get a detailed report here from one of you. Whichever comes first. Frequent liberal aplications of Lexol , alternately warmed by the sun , has worked for me. But if there is something better for the job , I am always ready for it. - CC

35-709

From the Leatherique site about "cardboard hard" leather ---

"REJUVINATOR  - Known world wide for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather. It is a complex blend of animal proteins, collagens, with absolutely no oil fillers of any kind. Totally unlike all other leather products, it will not stain or discolor leather. It is perfectly safe for equestrian use! Simply spray or wipe onto the surface and massage into the leather with your hands. Allow for it be absorbed into the fibers. Rejuvenator  has a unique capillary action which forces proteins into the leather and dirt out! Repeated use will keep leather in tip top shape. Use to condition and preserve all your leather cars, saddles, tack, furniture, motorcycle leather and even apparel. Prestine Clean is the perfect cleaner to use after each application of Rejuvenator  to remove the displaced impurities on the surface of the leather."

35-709

More from the Leatherique instructions page ---

"LEATHER FACTS

We strongly advise against saddle soap, as it has been known to remove the dye from the leather. Avoid products that contain petroleum or mineral oils, as they cause leather fibers to rot prematurely.   If your dye is worn away, call about our simple to use Leatherique Leather Dyes.  Our cleaner and conditioner have a capillary action.  The proteins, cleaners, and conditioners find their way deep into the pores of the leather and force out the dirt, perspiration, air pollution, unnecessary oils, and other toxins that destroy the fibers of the leather, destroying its strength and flexibility, and causing it to deteriorate. For tough, heavier stains, we do make leather cleaner to remove the stain from the surface of the leather.  The remainder of the stain will need to be “floated” out of the leather with Rejuvenator Oil.  Badly stained surfaces probably need to be re-dyed.  Call, email, or fax your specific Leather care questions to us anytime."

Suggest reading all of their instructions page here ---
http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/rejuvinator_pc_directions.html 

No financial interest here, I do not sell Leatherique products.  My only interest is to acquaint those who want to know about leather care with a product that I have had excellent results with and so have owners on Rolls Royce, Ferrari and other prestige car sites.

Caddyjack

Quote from: Carl Fielding on February 27, 2018, 09:47:04 PMFrequent liberal aplications of Lexol , alternately warmed by the sun , has worked for me. But if there is something better for the job , I am always ready for it. - CC
Lexol. Total rip off. Doesn't work AT ALL.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Dan LeBlanc

I've heard nothing but great things about Connolly Hide Care.  It's been around since the late 1800s - for something to survive in a marketplace that long, it's got to be good.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car