News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Schematics/'53 Fleetwood 60 Series

Started by Stevewaclo, February 27, 2018, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevewaclo

Hello!

I'm auditing an automotive restoration course at Western Nevada College here in Carson City and the car in the subject line is our project.

A trip to Pebble Beach is not in the car's future but the wealthy owner has given WNC a generous grant and, working within that budget, we hope to have the car ready for our annual Nevada Day parade in the fall.

While we have a manual for reference, we are in need of an electrical diagram to ensure the wiring is sound. The alternative is point-to-point continuity checks, which should suffice, but a wiring diagram would certainly be welcome. I used the search function here, but no joy.

The stripped down shell is awaiting head work on the engine and while everything is accessible, we want to check out the electrics as soon as we can.

Thanks in advance.
EE, ret.

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

I also have a Classic Car Wiring diagram as in 35-709's posting.  They are laid out very well, are very clear and they show the color of each wire, but they don't provide the gauge (thickness) of each wire which is important. 

You say you have a manual.  Is is it the 1952-53 Cadillac shop manual, as that should have a wiring diagram with the wires' gauges?  If not, you might want to buy a copy of the Shop Manual.  It's not as clear as the Classic diagram, but it does provide the gauge of each wire.  Also, the shop manual has lots of information besides wiring which should be useful to you.  Here is one for sale on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-1953-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL/162704405533?hash=item25e1f0341d:g:OSYAAOSwnHZYh7lE&vxp=mtr
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Gomez

Quote from: Stevewaclo on February 27, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
Hello!

I'm auditing an automotive restoration course at Western Nevada College here in Carson City and the car in the subject line is our project.

A trip to Pebble Beach is not in the car's future but the wealthy owner has given WNC a generous grant and, working within that budget, we hope to have the car ready for our annual Nevada Day parade in the fall.

While we have a manual for reference, we are in need of an electrical diagram to ensure the wiring is sound. The alternative is point-to-point continuity checks, which should suffice, but a wiring diagram would certainly be welcome. I used the search function here, but no joy.

The stripped down shell is awaiting head work on the engine and while everything is accessible, we want to check out the electrics as soon as we can.

Thanks in advance.

Steve,

Note of caution, the standard wiring diagram will show the general wiring applicable to all models, any other electrical options e.g. A/C, power seats, Autronic-Eye, power windows, etc. those would not be listed on the generic diagram.

The Service Manual would list those (as Jay Friedman stated above the ’53 would be a supplemental for the previous year). It all depends on how deep you want to go into the wiring with all applicable options on your model.

Attach is the general wiring diagram for the ’54, good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

jmurrayent

Steve,
That sounds like a fun project.  I have a complete running 53 60S here in Reno and also a parts car if you need to take a look at anything.  Was Garth Richards your wealthy donor?
Cheers,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

Stevewaclo

Hello everyone!

I may have not set up "instant notification" properly and just came back to see if there was any response to my question. 😟

Thanks to everyone who contributed a solution 👍👍👍.

Turns out some additional searching (with better terms) landed me on classiccarwiring and with some trickery, I was able to enlarge their schematic (in sections) and cobbled together a 20" X 18" version that I had laminated at the FedEx shop. And indeed, it is the same as the full page schematic in our 1953 Service Manual. We also have the '54 Supplement.

The plan is to use a dry-erase marker and check off each circuit as we ring them out.

Worked on the car during our weekly class (Tuesday, 1-4 in the automotive shop at WNC) and we are trying to resolve an issue with the right front drum. As the wheel is spun, there is a zing-zing sound we have been unable to identify. Shoes are backed off and witness marks are nowhere to be found. We ground the inner edge of the drum braking surface a bit closer to the back (made it wider), cleaned the splash groove (?) at the drum's rim and even took a little metal off the edge of the front shoe, which refuses to lay flat against the backing plate. Problem can be minimized by backing off the spindle nut, but of course, that's not a solution.

Thoughts?

And Allen, thanks for your generous offer of assistance! Let me know if you can come down for a visit one of these days! 30 min. on 580 😀.

Yes, Mr. Richards is our benefactor. 👍

Best

EE, ret.

Stevewaclo

Hello Allen,

Mr. Richards has invited our class to a tour of his collection on Tuesday, March 13, leaving WNC Automotive area around 1:00pm.

Instructor Jason Spohr welcomes your participation and I hope you can join us.

Call me at 775 883 7927 for details.

Looking forward to seeing you then!
EE, ret.

jmurrayent

Steve,
It was nice talking to you on the phone today, I'm sorry that I didn't get this message until just now, I would have loved to see Mr. Richard's collection. 
Cheers,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

wrench

Regarding the 'zing zing' could it be the drum riding in the backing plate somewhere...

As if the backing plate is not flat or bent or ?
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX