News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

71-78 Eldorado v. DeVilles

Started by BJM, February 28, 2018, 04:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I was not considering purchasing a 71-78 Eldorado.  I was looking at deVilles and Fleetwoods. I started browsing Eldorado ads from 71-78.  It occurred to me - are there any noticeable differences between the Eldorado and "normal" Cadillacs during this time period.

For comparison - the 67-70 Eldorados LOOKED completely different from RWD Cadillacs, easy to see the difference.

The 79-85 Eldorados LOOK completely different from the 79-85 RWD Cadillacs.  Also, the 79-85 Eldorados had 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes (I know some Cadillacs had 4 wheel disc brakes from 79-85 but probably not all).   

But when I look at 71-78 Eldorados I do not necessarily SEE much difference in architecture. I am sure the dashes and common components are the same.  Yes they look a little different, but not different enough to choose them over a DeVille or Fleetwood OR am I missing something? 

The Tassie Devil(le)

There is a huge difference between Front and Rear Wheel Drive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jsanford

Just like your '68, all the Eldorados going forward were GM E Bodies whereas the Calais, DeVille and Fleetwoods were C and D Bodies. Frames, body panels, glass and suspension were completely different. Some minor interior items and engines may have been shared across the Cadillac range, but that is it.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I  have "both" in that I have a 1979 Fleetwood RWD and a 1981 Seville FWD. I like both, so you might make your choice strictly by the one you like the best. Condition, accessories, and color. Good hunting.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

e.mason

Allow me to just say this.  I have never had a problem telling the difference between Eldos and DeVilles of that era.  The Eldos had that classic look of a long hood and short trunk.  I will admit to one thing.  When I first saw the '74 coupes at the dealership.  I thought they were Eldos and they just made the opera window bigger.  When I got closer I immediately knew it was a coupe.
Eric Mason

BJM

Quote from: e.mason on February 28, 2018, 07:11:31 PM
I will admit to one thing.  When I first saw the '74 coupes at the dealership.  I thought they were Eldos and they just made the opera window bigger.  When I got closer I immediately knew it was a coupe.

That’s what I am talking about. There was more of a corporate look to the Eldorado.

BJM

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on February 28, 2018, 06:02:02 PM
There is a huge difference between Front and Rear Wheel Drive.

Bruce. >:D

But they look the same to me.  I have to look real hard.  No one has to look hard to tell the 67-70 Eldorados from the deVille/Fleetwoods.  I was just wondering if some of the more knowledgeable can tell the difference and explain what/how.

e.mason

Quote from: BJM on February 28, 2018, 10:14:04 PM
But they look the same to me.  I have to look real hard.  No one has to look hard to tell the 67-70 Eldorados from the deVille/Fleetwoods.  I was just wondering if some of the more knowledgeable can tell the difference and explain what/how.

Since you asked.  I have never had a problem identifying the different models and years of 70's Cadillacs.  How?  Nothing more then being a real
big fan of Cadillacs since the 50's.  Its the subtle differences between the years that make identifying what year and model they are.

Some examples:

Coupe Devilles 2 doors.  Sedan Devilles 4 doors.

Fleetwoods were longer and had the wreath and
crest badges.

75 was the first year of the rectangular  head lights.

76 had different front marker lights

Convertible?  Had to be an Eldo.

Tail lights were always different from year to year.
Eric Mason

TJ Hopland

I get what he is saying and agree.   A non Cadillac enthusiast probably would not really identify the 71-78 Eldos as being unique from any Cadillac other than the 76-79 Seville (which I still think looks like an Oldsmobile).   Sure they are not the same but like he said 67-70 and 79-85 they were very different from other models.

Hard top Eldos from that era seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced especially compared to a Coupe Deville so I think would be worth considering them.   There isn't anything that is that different about the Eldo that I would consider a deal breaker.  There are parts that are getting harder to find but you could have the same issue with the RWD cars from that era now too.

71-78 all had solid rear axles with coil springs.   Rear air level ride was standard, vacuum powered compressor except for maybe 78.

71-75 had rear drums and vacuum power assist.  76-78 had 4 wheel disc with the hydroboost like the diesels and heavy 3/4+ trucks.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillactim

Front wheel drive makes the Eldo more expensive to repair than RWD models. Keep that in mind.  Front hub and wheel bearings, engine removal to replace certain parts that dies not require engine removal on RWD models. Since fewer Eldos made than RWD, parts will become harder to find in the coming years.

Tim
Tim Groves

e.mason

Quote from: cadillactim on March 01, 2018, 12:02:08 AM
Front wheel drive makes the Eldo more expensive to repair than RWD models. Keep that in mind.  Front hub and wheel bearings, engine removal to replace certain parts that dies not require engine removal on RWD models. Since fewer Eldos made than RWD, parts will become harder to find in the coming years.

Tim

I submit, that if an individual is going to be concerned with scarcity and price of parts, one should not get involved in the classic car hobby. ;D
Eric Mason

EAM 17806

Quote from: e.mason on February 28, 2018, 11:15:54 PM
Since you asked.  I have never had a problem identifying the different models and years of 70's Cadillacs.  How?  Nothing more then being a real
big fan of Cadillacs since the 50's.  Its the subtle differences between the years that make identifying what year and model they are.

Some examples:

Coupe Devilles 2 doors.  Sedan Devilles 4 doors.

Fleetwoods were longer and had the wreath and
crest badges.

75 was the first year of the rectangular  head lights.

76 had different front marker lights

Convertible?  Had to be an Eldo.

Tail lights were always different from year to year.
Tail lights on 74-76 devilles were basically the same except in 76 a chrome trim was added to the horizontal tail lights.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've been trying to make sense out of this thread. Bryon, just what are you wanting us to say? To list each and every "difference" between the models? Any "car guy/gal" can (usually) glance at a Cadillac and say, "That's a '72 CDV," or that's a '76 Eldo." Yes, they're both big, long, and impressive when seen against one of the "Hot Wheel" types for sale these days.  I guess the easiest way to tell at a glance is that CDVs have continuations of the door glass windows for the back seat passengers and Eldorados usually don't when viewed from the side. (May have opera type side glass.) However, in 1974, the side glass on the CDV was diminished slightly with a "post" between the door and the rear section of the roof. This is a generalization of the differences in the "look" between the models.

Both have long hoods, with the Eldo appearing to have a little longer hood/cabin/trunk proportion to the eye. That's about all I can come up with that's "different" about them. I hope this helps and that I haven't offended any of the real experts.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eldorado James

I agree that there is a more "Family" feel when the 1971-78 Eldo is contrasted with the 1967-70 Eldorado against the other models.  But the Eldo retained the long hood / short deck configuration, which was it's signature in 1967 (and in all of the early design models of the car during the mid 1960's).  I think the 1971-73 Eldorado's retained a much more distinct visual flavor than the 1974-76/1978 versions.  The rear bumpers especially were quite different on those years, whereas 1974-76 Eldorado (and later 1977-78) mimicked the Fleetwood/Devilles pattern.  So setting aside all of the engine/drivetrain/suspension differences that the Eldo presented, it did look much closer visually to what Cadillac wanted as design cues in that era of Big Body cars.  Actually, the 1971 Eldo was barely bigger and heavier than 1970, but the roofline and quarter panel /trunk changes gave it the appearance of a much bigger car.

Of interesting note...the 'bigger" 1971 Eldorado was received "lukewarm" at the time. The design didn't jive well with some car reviewers initially (sales would climb pretty much each year during the 1970's, so the public came to like it more).  I think the 1971-72's became an acquired taste at first and then slipped into a revered cult-classic status - -mainly due to high exposure of Eldorados in the movie industry from the time (Super Fly, Live and Let Die, etc etc).   The Devilles and Fleetwoods never did that to the same degree....The long hood / Short deck Eldorado has become one of the leading car images of the 1970's "last gasp of old skool excess".
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

J. Skelly

My grandmother bought a new '71 Eldorado.  I was a bit disappointed with the styling (opera windows and fender skirts) and generally the massive look compared to the '67-'70, but it grew on me.  I eventually owned the car.

4-wheel disc brakes were standard with the 1975 Eldorado.

I wasn't a big fan of the Coupe deVille after '73 since it was no longer a hardtop.

The deVille and Eldorado make a good choice at a reasonable price compared to muscle cars.  The Eldorado will cost more to repair if the drive axles need work, but otherwise the maintenance costs should be similar between the two.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

e.mason

Quote from: EAM 17806 on March 01, 2018, 10:25:47 AM
Tail lights on 74-76 devilles were basically the same except in 76 a chrome trim was added to the horizontal tail lights.  EAM

Not sure what you are referring to as tail lights were actually taillights.  Weren't they the rear marker lights?  Did they get brighter when the brake was applied?
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on March 01, 2018, 11:53:27 AM
I've been trying to make sense out of this thread. Bryon, just what are you wanting us to say? To list each and every "difference" between the models? Any "car guy/gal" can (usually) glance at a Cadillac and say, "That's a '72 CDV," or that's a '76 Eldo." Yes, they're both big, long, and impressive when seen against one of the "Hot Wheel" types for sale these days.  I guess the easiest way to tell at a glance is that CDVs have continuations of the door glass windows for the back seat passengers and Eldorados usually don't when viewed from the side. (May have opera type side glass.) However, in 1974, the side glass on the CDV was diminished slightly with a "post" between the door and the rear section of the roof. This is a generalization of the differences in the "look" between the models.

Both have long hoods, with the Eldo appearing to have a little longer hood/cabin/trunk proportion to the eye. That's about all I can come up with that's "different" about them. I hope this helps and that I haven't offended any of the real experts.

Speaking for myself.  I never had a problem distinguishing a Eldorado from the rest of the line in this area.  I never noticed any real similarities from their exteriors.
Eric Mason

76eldo

I drove all of these cars as gently used cars back in the late 70's.
I know I'm getting old when someone asks a question like this.

Go look at some for sale in your area. Drive a coupe from 77-79 then drive an Eldorado from 74 or so through 78.

Then you will know the difference and which one you like.

For me, hands down, 76 Eldo convertible.  No need to ask why if you ever drove one on a summer night with the top down.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

BJM

Yes sorry Barry and everyone. It's a tough question to ask and make clear.  I think the best separator is the convertible version since 1970 was the last year for a convertible deVille. 

I was just hoping a styling guru could come on here and go "dear sir, the differences are...."  You know kind of like when you look at one of those impressionist paintings and think your daughter could have painted it then some painting snob comes along and explains it?   That's what I figured someone could point out, because to me, they look pretty similar. 

It's like there was an attempt by Cadillac to make them similar, eggcrate grilles, basic same proportions.  The front wheel drive aspect I wasn't really thinking of that. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The egg crate grill was a Cadillac styling note that started in 1941 and is present to this day. So that was very deliberate and not likely to change any time soon. The intent was that when you looked at a Cadillac, you damn well knew that it WAS a Cadillac. (And it made you WANT one...)

So maybe your trouble in differentiating between the models was somewhat deliberate on Cadillac's part. In any case, we hope that you find what you are looking for and enjoy driving it. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville