News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Do metric socket and wrench sets sold outside the USA skip sizes too?

Started by TJ Hopland, March 03, 2018, 02:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I was recently thinking about buying some better quality and more complete sets of metric tools (for working on my metric Cadillac's so I can ask here).   Almost every set from every brand I look at skips several sizes.   In sockets 11, 12, 16, 20, 23, and 25 seem to be missing from almost every set I have looked at.   

At first I was thinking maybe there is no such thing as a 20mm nut but some stores sell those sizes individually so they must exist?  Most of the socket organizers that have labels include those sizes so another indication at least some people have them. 

Another theory was that those sizes maybe match exactly with common SAE sizes so they are doing you a favor by not making you buy 2 identical sizes with different labels but doing the conversion none come out exact so that may not be the reason either.

Is that the case around the world or is it just a USA thing?   

Anyone have those sizes and wish they didn't because they never use them?   I don't know that I have ever needed one yet but it kinda bugs me having those empty slots in the toolbox. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

16, 20 and 23 are almost never used. 11 and 12 are sometimes used; I don't remember if my tool box has a 25 mm socket. Metric tools may be used on large SAE nuts, but I never used metric tools for small ones. 14 mm is a tad too small, 13 too large to substitute a 1/2 wrench. For bolts smaller than 5/8", the proper tool is mandatory.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have never really purchased actual sets of tools at one time.

Seeing as I was a poor (cheap) apprentice Shipwright, I purchased tools when I required them.   This philosophy carried through my whole life.   When I began working on my first Metric car, the first thing I purchased with the profits from that job, I made my first Metric spanner/socket purchase.   No need to purchase sets as I didn't need additional handles that came with them.

I eventually purchased tools from 10mm to 20mm, then larger ones as required.

The common ones are 10, 12,13,14,15,16,17, 19 and 27.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I did purchase a complete Craftsman 147 piece set in a plastic case when I purchased my '72 Eldo when I got to Detroit.   I didn't want to have to bring over basic tools line I did in 2002, as I knew that I would be sending the kit home in the car when I crated her up. 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

Yes TJ, the same here in the UK. I have had to purchase the missing ones but it's true, they are hardly ever used.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

bcroe

My experience with older GM is they like 18mm, which is not in
any of the sets.  I just bought wrenches and sockets that size. 

I find essentially no interchange between metric and English
sizes.  The English system seems a lot more organized to me, not
surprising when you consider the sources.  Bruce Roe

txturbo

Most sets only include the common sizes. If they included every size it would cost more and you would never use half of them. If you run across a wired size just buy a tool to fit it when you need it.
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

TJ Hopland

Good to know its not just some odd USA thing. 

I think I will end up buying those sizes.   A common use I often find for odd sizes and metric vs SAE is when something is rusted or damaged.   The right size fits loose so you try both SAE and metric and get the closest fit. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

With the rusty american bolt heads and nuts I have had to deal with over the years, I find that Metric comes in handy for driving onto them to get them to move.

Plus, could be that my Imperial sizes are simply wearing out from over-use?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon