News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where's The BEEF? Awards Banquet Menu

Started by Greg Powers, March 06, 2018, 09:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

We are going to Texas for the Grand National, home of the best beef in the country? I was surprised to see a chicken , a salmon and a veggie option and only a chicken fried steak option,no standard beef option for the awards banquet. Is it just too costly to have a beef option or am I just out of touch with menu options for hotel banquets? I have always found it rather humorous to pay $65.00 for a piece of chicken (brings to mind the old rubber chicken jokes). No disrespect to the national planning board, just asking a question to see if anyone else had similar thoughts.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Greg, I for one am glad to see a "chewy" type steak after my misadventure at the GN last year. (Piece of steak got stuck in my esophagus.) But I did kind of wonder myself.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

On a trip to Texas some years ago, I learned that chicken-fried steak is steak in spite of its name.  Never did learn what exactly "chicken fried" meant.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It has a breaded coating and is usually covered with white gravy. It's very popular in Indiana as well. It's tenderized so that you can cut it with a fork.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

If anyone wants the recipe for chicken fried steak, I'll post it.
I make a KILLER chicken fried steak, one of my favorites to cook, but labor intensive.
\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Carl Fielding

Barry has it exactly right. If you can't cut a chicken fried steak with your fork , a c.f.s. quite simply "ain't right" (to misquote Louis Armstrong regarding the rightness - actually wrongness of beans w/o rice). Over 30 years ago I made a trip cross country to transport a Cadillac purchased on Long Island. Played in "The City" a while as I was already there. The best , and I am here to tell you , the absolutely BEST c.f.s. I have ever had in my entire life , was a tequila c.f.s. from a joint on Houston Street. Place called "TOMMIE'S RED CADILLAC". Seriously ! I went back a few years later , and they had had to change the name to "Tommie's Red Cad" , or "Caddy" , was it ? Some infringement issue , it seems. Too bad. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it. It has been WAY too long since I was last in Manhattan. I'm not sure I can ever get back.

Barry : please try to give me a call this weekend , or even tonight after 7:00 P.M. , PST. Or whenever convenient for you.  408-621-8261   - Carl

James Landi

Lord Fielding,

Perhaps "The Red Cadillac" of your youth moved to New Jersey--- check this out me Lord:   https://www.theredcadillacnj.com/menu/

Happy day,  James, the headmOnster

nysdarkblue

For get about where the beef is, my question is "WHERE ARE THE PORTA POTTIES?" The show fields are so big, and because I have a later model car, I am always away from the Hotel. Maybe a few can be put up on the out skirts of the show field this year so old folks like me won't have any problems.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Barry M Wheeler #2189

That's why old guys use Depends. My car is about as new as they let on the field, so think where I'm going to be.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

nysdarkblue

LOL, hold your horses, I am not that old!
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Bobby B

Quote from: nysdarkblue on March 17, 2018, 04:25:49 PM
LOL, hold your horses, I am not that old!

That Depends....  ;D
                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

nysdarkblue

Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

Scot Minesinger

Well to resolve this serious problem(s), what to do in the future is to help run the next GN; then the menu can be perfect, portable potties on the show field so you don't have to walk 200 yards, and etc.  It is not easy running a GN and some would say it is thankless.  The true cost to attend a GN if there were no dedicated volunteers would be at least $1,000 instead of $50 or $60 dollars (what ever the fee is?)

Thanks to all the volunteers.

Provided the hotel is nice, low or no rain, and there is a good attendance of Cadillacs and Lasalles, it will be amazing!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Scot, Funny you should mention "help running" the next (2019) GN. As a matter of fact, I am, and I WILL bring up Porta Potties to Beth. (And we won't have chicken-fried steak, either.) Look for us in Texas. We'll be wearing snazzy white shirts with a racing silk logo on it. Two cute blondes, (Beth and Juanda), a still cute white-haired hill girl (Gay), and assorted older men.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Barry,

Thank you!  Being a contributor to the 2017 GN, it is great to read about volunteering.  Unfortunately I'm considerably tainted when an insignificant GN complaint is written.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty