News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 oil pan install

Started by CadillacRob, March 07, 2018, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Hey guys. Just had my 365 rebuilt.  I need to install my oil pump and oil pan. 

There's a gasket that goes between the pump and block.  I'm assuming no RTV or anything of that nature needed.

The oil pan gasket is a 4 piece cork gasket.  What should I use on that? RTV? Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rob,

The only thing I would use on the gasket between the oil pump and the block would be a thin smear of vaseline, ot if both surfaces have been completely cleaned with a spray of Brakleen, nothing at all.

As for the sump, again, wipe with Brakleen, and then a smear, or a small bead of RVT, and the Gasket, then RVT again.

Don't use too much as there is nothing worse than the stuff that is squeezed out on the inside, falling off, and getting sucked into the oiling system.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon