News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LS2 swap into my 60 Coupe

Started by Hayden P, March 09, 2018, 06:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayden P

Hi guys... am considering putting a 6L LS2 into my 60... has anyone done it... any info...

Thanks

PS... dont hate... only considering at this stage...and not a numbers matching car...

bcroe

Anything is possible with enough time and money.  No doubt such
conversions are on the road, at great expense.  Just about nothing
is compatible, so a lot of fabrication is needed and using the
mating modern trans is almost a given.  And there is electrical
work involved. 

Before taking on such a project, I would see about getting front
disc brakes with dual circuit master cylinder, and radial tires,
a far more practical project.  And suspension upgrades, all this
would be needed up front for a performance upgrade. 

The original engine is certainly capable of some performance,
my issues with it would be the need for premium fuel and high
maintenance.  These are less of a problem if not daily driven. 
good luck,
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I'm not an expert on a 60 but my guess is there isn't anything that could be considered a direct or easy swap other than perhaps another Cadillac from a year or so either direction not likely a lot to be gained there.  This leaves you with a lot of things that you have to figure out on your own so at that point an LS is certainly worth considering.

The amount of aftermarket support and options for the LS platform just about doubles every year.  I predict that it won't be long when you could easily do one cheaper than a classic small block with a carb.   You can get started on the cheap if you want to.  Those engines were in trucks starting around 2000 so the junkyards and local ads are full of em.  You pick up a donor truck, universal swap kit that has the start of mounts, and a wiring harness.   You get it installed and running if you are happy great if you want more all the hard work is done and you can build off that as budget allows since everything else bolts on or plugs in. 

An advantage the LS has over many other options is size.  Being a smaller package than the typical 'big block' doesn't tend to have as many clearance issues as larger engines have.           
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Skwerly62

Try looking at/talking to someone at Wilcap or Cad Tech. They should be able to steer you right so you know what you’re looking at diving into.

www.cad500parts.com
Www.wilcap.com
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Caddy Wizard

In the past, you would have had to get someone to take a factory wiring harness, cut it up, re-flash program the ECM, etc.  Now you can buy a controller and wiring harness brand new, especially made for stuffing an LS motor into an on old car.  Huge improvement in eliminating the hassle of doing this swap.  For example, GM itself now sells the complete wiring kit (harness, connectors, ECM, etc.  It even includes the electronic gas pedal assembly.  This type of swap is getting easier and easier.  See, https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19354328.html

Personally, I love the vintage Cad OHV V8 engines.  But in my view, the LS may be the perfect motor -- very, very good on gas, smooth, quiet, and EXTREMELY durable and reliable.  So I don't fault someone for stuffing an LS in an old Cadillac...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Caddy Wizard

Here is a complete drivetrain package from GM, just about ready to fire up.  Mount it (fabricate new mounts), add an exhaust system, attach the thing to the battery, install a high pressure fuel pump and you are just about ready to go.  Of course, it is a bit harder than that.  But GM has taken a big chunk of the engineering work out of the swap...

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/CPSLS3EROD4L65E.html
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Kolossus

Quote from: Hayden P on March 09, 2018, 06:06:34 AM
Hi guys... am considering putting a 6L LS2 into my 60... has anyone done it... any info...

Thanks

PS... dont hate... only considering at this stage...and not a numbers matching car...

Did you end up doing the LS swap?
R. Ortiz

Caddy Wizard

There is now a guy selling motor mount and transmission mount brackets for stuffing an LS motor into 59 and 60 Cadillac's.  So that addresses one of the headaches for you. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-cadillac-LS-Chevy-Motor-Mounts-And-Transmission/332963777531?hash=item4d86300bfb:g:N9gAAOSwOnJcGc0j:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Art Gardner

Caddyrag67

did a ls2 conversion with 4l80e on my 60 and ran a ctsv engine cover 
Brendan Gielow
CLC Member # 31224

1952 Series 62  Convertible
1958 Eldorado Seville
1960 Coupe DeVille
1967 Coupe Deville Convertible

Kolossus

Quote from: Caddyrag67 on March 05, 2019, 07:55:57 PM
did a ls2 conversion with 4l80e on my 60 and ran a ctsv engine cover

I love it. It looks great.
Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the engine to the frame?
R. Ortiz

Kolossus

Quote from: Art Gardner CLC 23021 on March 04, 2019, 02:57:05 PM
There is now a guy selling motor mount and transmission mount brackets for stuffing an LS motor into 59 and 60 Cadillac's.  So that addresses one of the headaches for you. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-cadillac-LS-Chevy-Motor-Mounts-And-Transmission/332963777531?hash=item4d86300bfb:g:N9gAAOSwOnJcGc0j:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

This will really help. Thank you for this.   8)
R. Ortiz