News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 deville air shocks

Started by 1969cadillac, March 14, 2018, 10:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello out there !

I have just fitted air shocks to the rear of my deville ...

BUT ! it wont hold 40psi for more than about 1 hr

I guess it is the plastic lines that are leaking.....

followed the instruction sheet and did everything perfectly...

even replaced the o rings again and retrimmed the lines ... no go ..

any ideas pls , thanks ,

Murray Mules

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like you have a leaking bag if nothing else is leaking.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrench

I have had issues with the plastic T at the shrader or core  or filler valve whatever you want to call it.

The cores strip out internally and leak. Cheap, cheesy plastic. This reminds me that I need to locate brass fittings for both Eldorados...

I don't know if you used a T or have two fillers.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

TJ Hopland

I suspect like many things like this these days we are dealing with stuff that has been on the shelf a long time which is bad for something like a shock or complete crap quality new stuff.  My first set on the 73 lasted 10+ years.  I think the last 10 years I am on my 4th set.  Some the air leaks other the oil leaks out and they no longer do their shock thing.  Really annoying but at least they are not that expensive or hard to replace. 

Have a close look at the 'bag' portion of the shocks when they are fully inflated.   If they are leaking they will usually have obvious signs of cracks in the rubber which is fairly exposed if they are fully extended.

Mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle or got to a home/hardware store and pick up some gas leak detector which is basically the same thing, soapy water and spray it on everything you can access and watch for bubbles. 

Those little fittings can be a big pain to get the ferrules or o rings into.   If it didn't come as a complete kit make sure you have the correct stuff, it all has to work together.   Some have tappers and don't use an o ring or ferrule so if you try to put one in it won't seal.

Is this a complete new aftermarket system or are you connecting to some of the existing lines in the car?   If you are using the existing lines at this age there could be lots of places for leaks.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

Go out and buy a bottle of Miracle Bubble, in the toy section, put some in a trigger bottle.  Apply it to all the places that might leak.  The size of the bubbles tells you how big the leak is. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

I have a stubborn leak down issue with my 1968 as well. After a day or so, the car is back down with almost no pressure in the shocks. I'll try the miracle bubble treatment.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

Don’t forget to check the compressor.  Check the seal where the tank mates with the compressor, the manual fill valve, and where the regulator is mounted on the compressor. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

I don't think he has the original level control setup, just added air shocks.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

1969cadillac

Hello again tried further testing on these airshocks ...

pumped up to 90 psi

after 15 min down to 75 psi

30 mins down to 68 psi

45 mins down to 60 psi

60 mins down to 50 psi

have checked all lines so I guess the shocks themselves could be leaking even if they were new

will keep you posted , Murray Mules

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know what kind of valves the individual shocks have but are you able to isolate them completely from the rest of the system? May make troubleshooting easier.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Murray,

Every time you put a tyre gauge on the fitting, there is a tremendous loss of air pressure, even when you remove the gauge after each testing.

The only way to test for leaks is to have an inline gauge, and use soapy water to cheack each and every fitting, plus the rubber boots.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Hang in there.  These can be really frustrating. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason