News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Hill Holder"

Started by jackworstell, March 15, 2018, 07:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackworstell

Does anyone have any experience with a "Hill Holder"    for a 1937 Cadillac  series 60 ??

Also known as a "No Roll"

Jack Worstell       jlwmaster@aol.com

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jack,

Studebaker was the manufacturer that developed these. You might want to check with the Stude club on this issue. I have one for my 38 (not installed) and it does not look that complicated.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I was at Jack's home once and he really needs one of these.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Schuman

Jack,
What do you want to know about the hill holder? My 41 had one that was great when it worked well. Over time, the control valve would leak a little and let the car roll backward a little, gradually getting worse. I rebuilt my control valve several times using the internals from cylinders bought from Studebaker vendors. Eventually removed and sold the system when I could no longer get the needed repair parts.
The control valve cylinder is simple and easy to rebuild, with only one part that fails. That is a rubber seat molded into a stainless steel valve cage, that a stainless steel ball seats against to trap brake pressure and keep the brakes applied on an upgrade as long as the clutch pedal is depressed. I was never able to find anyone remolding the rubber seal, and when it begins to deteriorate and leak, the hill holder is unreliable. I even had an NOS control valve, never used, but the rubber seat was bad just from age. That is when I gave up.
If you have a hill holder that does not hold well but has no external fluid leaks, there is nothing unsafe about leaving it in place on the car. Maybe now someone is making repair parts. The unit was made by Wagner Electric Co. in St. Louis by their Wagner Lockheed brake division. They are long gone, and I had no luck finding anyone associated with that company who even knew what a hill holder is.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

jackworstell

Bob...thanks for the comments...useful.

We drive our 1937 series 60 in the hills of  WVA........and a Hill Holder would sure help out.
But I can see now that these things require attention.

Jack

Chas

These gadgets have an application in drag racing. I say this because if originality is not an issue, you can get a complete system for about $120 from a company called Hurst Performance. It is called a "line lock" or "roll control".
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

55hooptie

WARNING!
I race and use a B&M launch control.  Per the instructions it states,  it can be used on front wheel brakes for staging and rear wheel brakes as a hill holder for "SHORT TERM" (60 seconds maximum). I would assume the solenoid over heats and fails. I am not sure what the other brands specify but it is very important to read it's instructions to make sure it will do what you need. There is also an item made by Deco that is called a lever lock or park lock. It is an industrial in-line manual  lever. We used to use these on our off road cars for parking brakes.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

A re-direct back to the early question on the No-Rol.

After chatting with Jack, via email, did some investigation. The following lists what I found and have. Might consider doing an article on this in the SS if there is any interest.

The Johnny

No-Rol Index of Articles:

I.   From the Cadillac Accelerator

a.   October 15, 1938, Page 6. “The new No-Rol Provides Starting Ease on Hills”.
b.   December 15.1938, Page3. “The No-Rol is Valued by all types of Owners”.
c.   April 1939, Page 3. “Operation of Cadillac No-Rol Explained”.
d.   February 1940, Page 3. “No-Rol display Stand”.

II.   From the Cadillac-LaSalle Service man

a.   June-July 1939, Page 23. “No-Rol Adjustment Caution.
b.   June-July 1939, Page 24. “New Clutch Pedal Bracket Now Used with 60s No-Rol
c.   November 1939, Page 38. “Drill Gusset Plate to make 40-50 No-Ro Installation”.
d.   June 1940, Page 24. “Check Brake Line Fittings when Installing No-Rol”.
e.   December 1941, Page 49. “Shortening No-Rol Springs”.

III.   https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/pages/no-rol.html

IV.   http://stude.vonadatech.com/wp/hill-holder-10112015/

V.   http://mystudebaker.com/brakes/studebaker-hill-holders-anti-creep/

VI.   https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?page=brakes.html
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

jackworstell

Johnny

Yep...I  think it would make a good article for the Self Starter