News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 caster/camber

Started by G Pennington, March 15, 2018, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

Has anyone had any experience adjusting the front end alignment  on a '52 - '53 Series 62?  My shop manual essentially calls for zero caster and zero camber.
I kinda question this ... seems to me that a little positive caster would help tracking and a little negative camber would help cornering.  I'll be running radials... maybe that makes a difference.  Not too worried about tire wear (unless it's extreme) since the tires usually go out of date long before the tread wears out.  Good handling and safety are the prime concerns.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Dave Shepherd

If possible try and get some positive caster,  you may not have enough adjustment range to accomplish that without negatively affecting camber.

bullet bob

Gary. I'm getting ready to have an alignment done on my '53 also. Steering wheel is probably at a 45* angle although the car handles great. Probably going to go with factory specs. If you would sir, please post about what your alignment guy says/does. Appreciate it!
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

35-709

If you are running radials on a car that had bias-ply you want to have at least some positive caster.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

G Pennington

At first, I was not able to get any positive caster by adjusting the upper eccentric bushing.  Had to remove inner/lower A-arm shaft and rotate it so as to move the A-arm forward slightly to increase caster (see 1952 shop manual page 6.5).  This was a major PITA because springs have to be removed.  Was finally able to get approx 3/4 deg of positive caster.
Set the camber at 1/4 deg both sides.  Unfortunatly, caster and camber are interrelated so one affects the other.
Set toe-in per factory specs.  Will have to go back and do final tie rod adjustments to center the steering wheel after I drive it.
No alignment shop around here that knows anything about these old king pin suspensions.  Did everything myself.  This magnetic caster/camber gage (pictured) is easy to use and not too expensive.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

Dave Shepherd

That's the way we do it in my shop, very tough to get any positive caster, as you see.  We have turn plates so setting the caster is a smoother operation, because the plates are marked in degrees.  Btw, nicely done on your part, G.

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Quentin Hall

Gday Gary, I was trying to contact you via the forum messages but I’m not sure it is working. Could you email me at 53eldorado.qhemail addresses not permitted please.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

G Pennington

Gauge came from Speedway Motors (Part # 91082605) $119.99.
EZ to use; good instructions.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible