News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Hood Support

Started by genehawkins, March 17, 2018, 09:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genehawkins

I have a 1940 LaSalle  Model 50 which has a 350 engine. The original hood support spring was removed because it would not clear the engine. I am looking for suggestions for a hood prop other than taking a stick out of the truck. Something that works like the trunk supports would be good. Lift hood and it latches - lift a little and it unlatches. Or maybe someone offer hydraulic struts which are designed to fit. Any suggestion would be great.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Welcome, Gene. "Designed to fit???" No offense intended, but just how many people have a car like yours with your particular engine put in it? Cadillacs and LaSalles were scarce when they were new, and you think someone has designed and offered for sale a hood support so you can send them $19.95 VIA PayPal? I'm afraid you're going to have to fabricate something yourself. There is simply not enough demand for such a thing to buy one over the counter.

For a stop-gap measure, doing what you suggested might be a quick fix for the present. Find a nice four feet long (or so) piece of round wood, perhaps make a groove in each end so it stays put, and either shellac it or paint it in semi-gloss black. Cadillac uses such stop-gap measures at present. I have a treated cloth (By Fleetwood, of course) that was original equipment on my 2014 and 2016 ATSs to wipe fingerprints from the glossy black surround on the radio/heating unit.

Another plan might be to Google some of the modified sites on the Web and see what IS out there. You are most likely not the first person with this problem and someone with a 1939/40 Olds or Pontiac (same body as yours) may have some up with the answer you need. (I just remembered that Buick doesn't use an alligator hood.) Again, welcome, and someone else may chime in with a better solution than I offered. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

genehawkins

Thank You for the input. I do not expect to look it up on ebay and find a ready made. I was hoping to find another 1940 owner with a similar issue and obtain input on what they did. An early Corvette hood support may work. I have seen some mechanical ones before on some street rods at shows but none now that I need one. Wife does not like the stick support and I do not like hydraulic struts. Thank you again for you input.