News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado Drivers side Outside Mirror

Started by BJM, March 18, 2018, 12:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

My outside mirror has pot metal pits.  It is mostly on the "brushed" section, some on the separate base. Obviously needs replaced.  So, I reached out to a couple of Cadillac parts sellers, including Desert Valley Auto Parts, and "Cadillac Heaven" and both say all of their outside mirrors are bad as well (pits). 

What the heck is going on?  Must be a weak link in quality on this mirror.  So, I go to evilbay and there are plenty of NOS right hand (RH) mirrors for ridiculous prices from $300 to $999! 

I saw one left hand mirror I think for several hundred dollars.  What? 

1st, are the 1968 Eldorado outside mirrors the same as all corporate 1968 mirrors? 

2nd, can these be restored by a chrome shop even with the "brushed" look or would their replating remove the brushed look?  (Which would be a points deduction I guess, although I may never show this car for an award) 

Any of you know what's going on? And why is every mirror bad?

67_Eldo

Quote from: BJM on March 18, 2018, 12:45:33 PM
1st, are the 1968 Eldorado outside mirrors the same as all corporate 1968 mirrors? 
Welcome to the wonderful world of first-gen-Eldorado parts scavenging. Prepare your bank account for the beating that will inevitably ensue.

The first-gen Eldo outdoor mirrors are a species unto themselves. They started using corporate Cadillac door mirrors in 1971.

One vintage-car mechanic told me that he'd never seen a car as hard to obtain parts for as my 1967 Eldorado. He works on old Lamborghinis and Ferraris and can find parts for them much more easily.

BJM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1968-1970-Cadillac-Eldorado-R-H-Passenger-Side-Door-Mirror/173183791892?hash=item28528ef314:g:sKkAAOSw4CFY0rD0&vxp=mtr

I am going to go look at my mirror today and probably just send it to a chrome shop for redoing in full chrome no brush OR maybe I am delusional and my mirror has no brush now, but I thought it did. 

67_Eldo

In the seller's defense, that's a *nice* mirror! :-)

D.Smith

Quote from: 67_Eldo on March 18, 2018, 01:05:57 PM
In the seller's defense, that's a *nice* mirror! :-)

Yeah but is it really a commodity?    Once you install it on the car it has no more value than a mint used one.

NOS parts in boxes are nice but only if you just plan to put the box in a display cabinet.   And then what good is that?    Pricing now seems to be based on investment return, not supply and demand.   It's not a gold coin for crying out loud.   It's just a mirror in a box.   

For people who actually need one for a car I'd say you are better off buying the reproduction one as long as it is of oem specs.   

D.Smith

Quote from: BJM on March 18, 2018, 12:45:33 PM

Any of you know what's going on? And why is every mirror bad?

No, not every mirror is bad.   But if the car has sat outside that will do it.   Remember these were daily drivers for most people when new.

The 68 Eldorado mirror is unique. The base angle is different so you can't use one from a 68 deVille, Fleetwood or Calais.   The 67s mirror was round, so a no go.   The 69 & 70 Eldorado mirrors are the same but may have different part numbers as the remote cable length may be different as the interior door panel changed in 69 so the mirror control pivot is in a different spot.   I've never tried swapping a 68 & 70 mirror so I can't say for sure if the cable length is that much different.     Right side mirrors were a dealer option then.  That is why there are fewer of them around.   But those are being reproduced.     When you factor in restoration and/or rechroming costs a reproduction one is not that bad of a deal price wise.    But as far as I know I don't think they are reproducing the left side ones.   

cadillacmike68

Bryan,

That overpriced mirror isd an RH mirror, so it won't fit the driver side. It's priced more than double what I paid for a NIB DeVille RH mirror.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

J. Skelly

Dave,

Are you suggesting that the RH mirror is being reproduced for the '68 Eldorado, but not the LH?  I'm not aware of either being reproduced.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

67_Eldo

Bryan, check these guys for a "grade A" 1968 Eldorado Door Mirror Assembly:

Juliano's Auto Parts, Inc.
NY (Sodus)
315-483-4607
Stock # 1485

I stumbled across them while searching for a wiper motor for an 89 Alfa Romeo Spider.

D.Smith

Quote from: J. Skelly on March 18, 2018, 03:30:30 PM
Dave,

Are you suggesting that the RH mirror is being reproduced for the '68 Eldorado, but not the LH?  I'm not aware of either being reproduced.   

Yes it is.    https://www.ebay.com/i/112530458192?chn=ps&dispItem=1

It bolts onto the door from underneath, vs how the original ones were mounted with a screw on the outside to hold them on.   Remember the originals were a dealer kit only.    However, they were also easy to steal due to the way it mounted.   So the reproduction ones will be better attached.   Some guys were worried a keen eyed judge will knock off points if they catch that tiny difference.

BJM

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on March 18, 2018, 02:13:18 PM
Bryan,

That overpriced mirror isd an RH mirror, so it won't fit the driver side. It's priced more than double what I paid for a NIB DeVille RH mirror.
Yep Mike I saw that but wanted to post it as an example of what is on ebay.  There are a couple where the asking price is $1500 + for a mirror! 

D.Smith

With the collectability going up every year of mid to late 60s and early to mid 70s Cadillacs I am surprised that all of the outside mirrors aren't being reproduced.   

The 71-78 Eldorado mirrors fit the 71-76 Deville/Fleetwoods/Calais for example.  That would be their biggest market for cross applications.

J. Skelly

Dave,

Thanks for the information.  Bob Hoffman, who is the resident expert on mirrors, had mentioned that the '68 base is slightly different from the base on the '69-'70.  It's about time someone came out with these.  I had written to the owner of Original Parts Group several years ago and this is one of the items I had mentioned producing.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

76eldo

Here's a thought.
The base is what's different.  The actual glass and cable assy can be re-used.

Has anyone tried getting a much more ordinary mirror from a newer Cadillac and just using the mirror chrome shell, getting their base re-chromed and putting the two together?

The reason that the RH mirrors are so expensive is that they were an option as previously mentioned.  Most were dealer installed but there was a factory order possibility, at least in 1970.  I read this in the 1970 Salesman's Data book.

Also keep in mind that these were potmetal castings and in 1968 the idea of worrying about parts and complete cars lasting more than 10-15 years was not very important.  It's being outside in the elements that degrades these parts as we all know.  There is no problem with the actual quality of the parts.  Both of my 70's have pit-free potmetal and beautiful chrome and stainless but they were always pampered garage queens.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)