News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1986-1991 Cadillac Seville/Eldorado Window Gasket Shrinking Repair

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, March 18, 2018, 01:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The outside window gaskets on my '91 Seville were shrinking badly on both LH doors at the lower back corner. They were too far out of line to try to soften them with a heat gun (and stay in place.)

So, I found a set of four window surrounds near FT. Leonard Wood in MO and had my body man splice a section of the old rubber into each gasket. It didn't look too bad as it was, but I got the idea to get some of that black spray rubber stuff they advertise on TV (They have it at Lowes and Wal-Mart) and see if that would fill the gaps left on each seam.

I got a small dab of my wife's talcum powder to dull the shine some and then applied some of the stuff sprayed on an old margarine tub top with a Q-tip over the seams. It's drying now and when it has set up, I'll see if I can take some of the "bumps" out with a new single edge razor blade. Then a few swipes with some fine steel wool and it should be quite a bit better.

I trimmed some of the excess off, but I think I'll let it dry overnight and put another coat on tomorrow. It's lookin' good, Vern!

Since the "old" material is hard to find, (And difficult to take off the donor car) if anyone has the same problem and wishes to try the repair, I'll be glad to send a short strip of material to you at no charge. I understand that on these cars, the gaskets do tend to shrink. And since it's right where you notice it each time you get in the car, I'm glad to get it done. I hated to damage the gasket on the car, but I think it looks better to have it in the correct place even with a little "damage."

As soon as the job is finished, I'll post some pictures.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville