News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

75 Eldorado Hesitates Under Acceleration

Started by pplaut, March 18, 2018, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pplaut

Only under heavy load, i.e. going up a hill, does the car seem to miss.
It has been a long time since I messed with carbureted vehicles. I tried cleaning with carb cleaner and when I sprayed down into the back to barrels, cleaner, came back out from the inside and dripped onto the intake manifold. Appeared near a linkage. This can't be good. But, this is why I am asking. :) Thoughts?
Peer L. Plaut
Head Baldie
Baldmen.Com

Bobby B

Vacuum Leak? Put a vacuum gauge on the engine and see what's going on.....
                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

How does the carb look?   Is it fairly clean or is it kinda a dirty varnished mess that looks wet all the time?  If there are no signs that its been rebuilt anytime recently I would consider just getting it done by a good shop so you can be reasonably sure its working correctly.    Some of the 75's had a unique 6 jet carb so there is even more things to go wrong or be abused by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Hows cap, rotor, plugs, and wires look?  That all needs a close inspection and if it doesn't look basically new would be good things to just replace. 

Pull and plug the vac line from the distributor and see if that changes anything. If that makes a big difference it could be the wires to the pickup coil inside the distributor are cracked.  They flex as the vacuum advance operates so you can end up with positions it works in and others that don't. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

metalblessing

I am having a similar issue, but not sure if its EXACTLY the same. I'm curious exactly what happens in detail?

As for me on my 68, what happens for me is I will be driving normal and as I increase acceleration sometimes I will hear my engine shut off completely, until I release the gas, at which point it fires back up. When this issue flares up I have to pretty much keep releasing and hitting the gas to get it going steady.

It gets worse going uphill. Does this sound familiar at all? If so I'm still working on mine and dont have an answer for you yet. But I havent been able to find anyone else with this issue so just wondering
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

bcroe

In addition check the condition of the timing chain set, which should
have been replaced by now.  If hesitation is the same with a full or
mostly empty problem, its probably not a fuel delivery problem. 
Problems with engine movement and engine wiring breaking power
have been discussed along with my complete solution to the problem. 
Bruce Roe

pplaut

All thanks for your feedback. I have replaced, plugs, wires, cap, etc.
I have the same problem on a full tank. However, after posting last night, I think I will replace the fuel filter. I also had a weak fuel pump on another care one time. So, I might replace the fuel pump and filter.

As for the 68 guy - completely different problem. Mine never cuts out. It just misses under heavy load.

I have always suspected a vacuum leak somewhere. I just can't find it. I will check the vacuum line test to the distributor. I did replace just about all the vacuum lines I could find.

Thanks for all our help!
I will keep digging.

Peer L. Plaut
Head Baldie
Baldmen.Com

tripwire

You might look at the pickup coil in the distributor.  Sometimes the two wires going into the coil will crack inside the insulation and while they look ok the conductors are broken inside.  Just pull lightly on the wires, if you've got a bad one it will come apart in your hands.   
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan