News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mice and Dog Biscuits Living In Hood Insulation.

Started by EAM 17806, March 19, 2018, 10:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

I just got the biggest surprise of my life when my Body Shop friend examined why the underhood  insulation was sagging when I picked up the hood.  Come to find out mice were storing dog biscuits in there for their winter feed and warmth during the cold winter days. When we cleaned out the insulation there were about 75-100 dog biscuits in there.  That was an area I overlooked  spraying the peppermint oil mix on; the areas I did the spray was well protected, the trunk, interior, engine elements, etc.  WHAT A SUPRISE!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

Were they getting the dog treats from you?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EAM 17806

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 19, 2018, 11:36:31 AM
Were they getting the dog treats from you?
No way!  There hasn't been a dog in my house for the last 35 years; but there is a nice dog just next door, Hmmm.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

TJ Hopland

Sounds like your neighbor needs a gift of a metal container with a tight lid for their dog treats.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

nysdarkblue

Never mind the dog, how long has your car sat for so this could happen, hmmmmm.....
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

EAM 17806

Quote from: nysdarkblue on March 20, 2018, 04:59:56 PM
Never mind the dog, how long has your car sat for so this could happen, hmmmmm.....
During the winter time I run it for a good run about every  two or three weeks when the weather is okay; these mice must have been going for a nice enjoyable warm ride while eating dog biscuits.  EAM
Ev Marabian

fishnjim

Look at the bright side.   It's a heckuva lot better there than in the air cleaner or interior.
If they didn't have those free bones, they'd be eating wire insulation or something else of yours.

EAM 17806

Quote from: fishnjim on March 21, 2018, 10:52:06 AM
Look at the bright side.   It's a heckuva lot better there than in the air cleaner or interior.
If they didn't have those free bones, they'd be eating wire insulation or something else of yours.
NO, they didn't have any choice, I had those other areas covered with pure peppermint oil spray but overlooked the underhood insulation; however, I gave their new home a heavy spray which caused them to become homeless, at least on this Deville for the time being anyway.  EAM
Ev Marabian

metalblessing

When I read the subject I thought you found actual bones from dogs in there, I was about to say thats pretty bizarre
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

TJ Hopland

Can you perhaps in another thread tell us more details about your peppermint process?   It kinda sounds like you have proof its working.   Most people have their method but never seem to be sure that that was what was keeping them away.

I would like to hear more about the product you are using and how and where you are applying it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Before now, I had never heard of using peppermint as mouse repellent. According to what I've been able to find online, the oil tends to evaporate must be renewed every two weeks if it is to be effective. They say to saturate cotton balls with the oil. If you let it go too long, chances are the mice will wind up using it as nesting material conveniently supplied for them.

I'd try something else frankly. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

metalblessing

1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

EAM 17806

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 23, 2018, 10:49:42 AM
Before now, I had never heard of using peppermint as mouse repellent. According to what I've been able to find online, the oil tends to evaporate must be renewed every two weeks if it is to be effective. They say to saturate cotton balls with the oil. If you let it go too long, chances are the mice will wind up using it as nesting material conveniently supplied for them.

I'd try something else frankly.
Mix two teaspoons of pure peppermint oil into 8 ounces of water and spray the areas you want protected about every three weeks and you will see how effective this is.  Mice cannot stand the smell of this oil.  I've been doing this for the last three or four years and no more mice in the areas I had sprayed.  If anyone can't accept this then do not waste good money on good peppermint oil.  EAM
Ev Marabian

I am not the one complaining about dog biscuits in my hood insulation while claiming how effective  peppermint oil treatment is. And if spraying in the engine areas (every three weeks) didn't work, it sure doesn't sound very effective to me.  Neither is there any way of knowing with absolute certainty whether the oil would have made any difference in the areas that were treated.   

That said, it would seem to me there are better and other proven methods for rodent control but if you choose to engage in this ritual, it's certainly your prerogative to do so.

BTW You're welcome on the headlight buzzer question.

EAM 17806

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 23, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
I am not the one complaining about dog biscuits in my hood insulation while claiming how effective  peppermint oil treatment is. And if spraying in the engine areas (every three weeks) didn't work, it sure doesn't sound very effective to me.  Neither is there any way of knowing with absolute certainty whether the oil would have made any difference in the areas that were treated.   

That said, it would seem to me there are better and other proven methods for rodent control but if you choose to engage in this ritual, it's certainly your prerogative to do so.

BTW You're welcome on the headlight buzzer question.
I must confess, I did not spray the engine area as much as I should have but the areas I did (trunk and interior) stayed safe from these mice. The trunk was attacked quite badly before I sprayed; however, if you don't believe in this ritual I suggest you keep away from peppermint usage, as I have said before, to each his own.  I would assume we members would appreciate you providing us all your known methods of mice prevention so we can all benefit.  EAM
Ev Marabian

Fortunately I've been lucky in that regard and never really needed to take any extraordinary measures against infestation with garaged vehicles other than leaving D-Con boxes around the garage.

I assume that's what's been keeping the problems under control.