News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Escala

Started by T J Lankes, March 19, 2018, 12:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

With so much emphasis on the new naming scheme (CT for cars and XT for crossovers), it's kind of surprising they would already move away from that and go with "Escala" for a new sedan.  It's also surprising they'd be looking to ADD another large sedan to the lineup given where the sedan market has been recently, at least here in the U.S.  Perhaps this potential plan is being driven more by expected demand in China.

In other sedan rumors, domestic rival Lincoln may be looking to abandon the large sedan market altogether with the discontinuation of the Continental.   Like the Escala story, it's still just a rumor at this point.

As someone who prefers sedans over SUVs, I hope the Escala rumor ends up being true and the Continental rumor false!

TJ Hopland

Is that at all related name wise to Escalade?   I never looked up the origin of that name either so no idea what it means other than a fully equipped Chev truck with a Cadillac badge. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wrench

Nothing says 'Latest and Greatest" like a pic with a Sabreliner...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

James Landi

Some car designs are instantly gorgeous --- this is one

WTL

They need to do it, even if it loses money, because the concept establishes Cadillac's place.  Right now, Cadillac has forfeited its place. 

They might take a relative bath on it, but if they only produce 100 cars a year, but put it on the front of their catalogs and in the ads and on super bowl commercials, it will be worth it.  Low volume, high exclusivity, and let that re-establish the standard of the world. 

I prefer the elmiraj, but the escala would be magnitudes more important than the actual amount you sell.  Move the entire brand up in the pecking order, then try and make your money on the Escalade, XT7, and maybe a CTSV.  Dont sell any car less than 45k. 

z3skybolt

wrench,

Guess they heard you.  So they parked it by a G-5 for the final shoot.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bill Young

Cadillac and I have an understanding. They refuse to build cars I like and therefor I refuse to buy them.

Rich S

I am glad to see Cadillac planning for a non-alpha-numeric model name. I doubt the production Escala will be a true hardtop design. With this delayed time-frame, Cadillac is again coming to market late--the Audi A7 has had a similar design for a while. Another big faux pas is the new trend for horizontal components to the Cadillac model lights--the new XTS has this on the tail lamps, the new CT4 appears to have a horizontal component to the tail lamps and now the Escala will. My preference would be to see the El Miraj concept being built, or at least its attractive (vertical) tail lamp design. Cadillac surely "owns" the vertical tail lamp design, in all its versions, and it has been effectively updated, while maintaining a signature design cue. I wonder if the "linen" interior of the Escala concept will reach the production model?
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

<sigh>
I think I was vaccinated for Escala before I went to the Middle East...
The car looks like any other euro import. What a shame... JMHO.
\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bill Young on March 19, 2018, 08:45:21 PM
Cadillac and I have an understanding. They refuse to build cars I like and therefor I refuse to buy them.

Right. They need a Convertible!!!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jdemerson

http://www.cadillac.com/future-concept-vehicles

It's always interesting how much the views of different folks vary. Many posts have urged that Cadillac bring out a top-line model to try and restore the Standard of the World status. 

I think that both the Escala and the Elmiraj (coupe) are beautifully designed and stunning. The Ciel convertible was impressive too, but needs an update to be more like the Elmiraj in its refined and beautiful lines. When I see these concepts, I'm reminded of the gorgeous lines of the 1967 Eldorado, for example. That one is a timeless design.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X (with a slightly prettier grill than a '53 or a '50...an opinion readily challenged!)

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn