News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 convertible rear seat

Started by Bronze, March 21, 2018, 03:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronze

Hi,
Being new to the forum i apologize if this topic has been exhausted before. I have searched but not found precise answers.
I am restoring a 1956 series 62 convertible and missing the rear seat and all side panels.
I understand that i will probably not find springs for a convertible as they are rare so my question is what would be my best bet? Buick, Olds? Can a coupe or sedan rear seat base be modified?
Of course, if anyone has something useful to sell, i am interested.
THanks
/Martin

Quentin Hall

Pretty sure 545556 will be the same. Also senior Buick. If you can’t find you can make.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bronze

Thanks,
If 54-56 are the same it makes the chances a bit better even if they still are slim.
How do one make a new spring base, is there a description somewhere. I would at least need measurements i guess.

Quentin Hall

Send a pic of what you are missing. Also put a wanted ad in classifieds. To make one you will need a reference to copy. I have made many 53 Eldo rear seats from scratch. But you need one to copy.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bronze

Good one: "Send a pic of what you are missing" :)
I have a -56 Cad series 62 Convertible on it's way from LA to Sweden and it is missing the rear seat completely. So when it comes i could take a pic of the empty rear but that would not help much.
But i do thank you for useful info. Can try Cad 54-56. Can try Buick of same year and if i need to make one i need to get hold of a master to copy.
Will follow your advice and put a wanted ad in the classifieds.
Thanks again.

Quentin Hall

Haha. I think I was unsure of your terminology with regards to your bolsters. You will find someone in Sweden who has a reference easily. Lots of skilled fabricators there also.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

TonyZappone #2624

Probably necessary to say the Buick rear seat would have to be Super or Roadmaster, Special and Century would surely be different.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Bronze

That comment about Sweden actually turned out to be the most useful of all! Been searching in English for Back seat, rear seat, Base, springs etc and came up with nothing. Only when you made that comment about lots of skilled people in Sweden i made search in swedish and, lo and behold, a shop offering newly made bases...and it is 30 min away from me :)
https://www.uswebbutik.se/category/cadillac
Sometimes the solution is closer than one imagines......

David King (kz78hy)

Martin,

Thanks for posting the website.  I need a '55 rear seat and it seems they have it.  It will be quiet expensive by the time it would get to me, but at least there is a known solution.

Thanks

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bronze

Apparently he is fabricating them by hand. I can recommend his work. He did the seat upholstery in a -56 SDV for me and it was very good quality. His timekeeping is less than perfect though...expect 6 month promised delivery time and then 3 more in delays :D

Quentin Hall

If I had 54 55 56 templates I could help you. I made up a rod bender  to remake my 53 rear seat . The rear seat area is a moisture trap, hence I use 6.5 mm stainless so the bases will never rot again.
     They are very time consuming and the price is comparable to the time involved.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz