News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can the 2018 CTS-V hang with top tier cars that are $25K-$90K more expensive?

Started by Eldorado James, March 22, 2018, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

Interesting read...We know that the 2018 Cadillac CTS-V fares well against similar-priced competition...and in this comparison (where by far it's the cheapest car) it gets a few nice points in a league that is over it's head a bit...but it also has some shortcomings.

"Did we mention that Cadillac claims the car goes 200 mph?  Although that number is unverified by us, Cadillac says the CTS-V is faster than any competitor, including Porsche’s Panamera Turbo."

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2018-bmw-m5-vs-cadillac-cts-v-mercedes-amg-e63-s-porsche-panamera-turbo-comparison-test

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This model of Cadillac is wayyyyy beyond my price range, and so I don't even "check into" it, but I'd say that the top tier cars are generally in another strata than even Cadillac. I guess I've always thought so even back when Rolls/Bentley were the creme de la' creme.

In other words, there are people who can afford the super-dooper cars and then there are people who buy Cadillacs and Lincolns. So I don't think that this new model will suffer all that much in comparison with the "expensive" cars out there. But it's great that Cadillac is "trying." I got an e-mail the other day showing the tail lamp pods and headlamp portion of the front fender of the car to be revealed next month.

So, I guess we'll "wait and see."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

INTMD8

Last paragraph is a good summation for me.  I laughed when I read the comment about the cue volume control.  Sooooo frustrating.

"That the CTS-V borrows the Corvette’s engine and apes its blissful handling is a virtue. That Cadillac’s interior designers apparently thought they were working on a Chevrolet is not. New for the 2014 model year, the CTS’s cabin already looks twice its age thanks to an overwrought design, unexceptional materials, and tortured ergonomics. The cramped back seat is a pseudosuede prison. The front camera (so you don’t crunch the carbon-fiber splitter in parking lots) offers the clarity of a kaleidoscope. Sure, the updated CUE infotainment system is much improved since its debut, but it won’t be acceptable until Cadillac replaces the often unresponsive haptic volume control with something that works more reliably. The Cadillac is the car to own if you commute to work on California’s Angeles Crest Highway. For the rest of us, though, it fails to live up to the expectations of a six-figure luxury car."

wrench

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it as the writer has an interesting style.

I think it doesn't matter that Cadillac says the car will go 200 mph, the acceleration numbers were a little slow.

When the writer said the Cadillac was the most fun to drive, I couldn't help but think that in the near future, with autonomous vehicles, they will need to change the name of the magazine to 'Car', since the driver will be obsolete.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

35-709

".... they will need to change the name of the magazine to 'Car', since the driver will be obsolete."

How about Car and Driven?   :)
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eldorado James

LOL @ "Car" comment......   ;D ;D

The CTS-V was "slow" off the line and placed 4th.....if you check out the specs page, the CTS-V also had the lowest axle ratio by far (2.85).  Now, interesting to see the speed-jump tests -- 30mph-to-50mph and 50mph-to-70mph it was THE BEST.  Cadillac gave it a helluva lot more mid-punch rather than right off the line.   :D   It was also THE BEST on the skidpad....pulling 1.01g....better than the Porsche~! The CTS-V came in as the lightest car and with the most horsepower / torque....and was said to be "the most fun to drive".  Caddy can be proud of these accomplishments, but it sure got spanked on rear seat design, CUE and interior quality!  But hey....it's an $88K car in a $125-175K league.....

E James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty