News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Do Cadillac engines have nicknames?

Started by chrisntam, March 23, 2018, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Being a car guy starting in the mid '70s, engines had nicknames.

The small block chevy was the mouse motor.

The big block chevy was the rat motor.

The hemi was the elephant.

Do Cadillac engines have nicknames?

Certainly the 346 engine used in WWII (The Big One / Archie Bunker reference) had a nickname.

The 500?  'cept it was known as an 8.2 litre.....

What are the 4.1 or the Northstar's nicknames?   ;)  Ap cray?  Unk Jay?  (pig-latin)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've heard the term "One Lunger" in reference to the single cylinder Cadillac engine.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What we out here call them is 1 thing. I sure would like to hear the nicknames Cadillac engineering, Customer Service and Warranty departments called them.  Something tells me they didn't just refer to it as the 4100.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Ken Perry

I have heard the 4100 called lots of names,,,none of them good ! Ken Perry 8)
Cadillac Ken

Quentin Hall

The  flathead 346 engine in my 39 has been crudely hand painted on the manifold “Daddy Long Legs”. I’m not sure  if they were referring to the manifold looking a bit like a spider or that it has a bit of get up and go once it’s wound up.
I prefer to think the latter.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jon S

When they start up as they should we call them baby.  When they don't we have a wide assortment of names for them.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

D.Smith

My 2007 DTSs Northstar engine was often called the Exxon Valdez.

Scot Minesinger

I call the engine in my 1970 Cadillac a "472" and so do most people on this forum.  Not very unique, but everyone knows what we are discussing.  Non Cadillac people do not usually know what the "472" means, so seems like a good name to me.  I think that is the convention for the 40's thru 1980; 346, 331, 365, 390, 429, 472, 500, 425, & 368.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Jon S on March 25, 2018, 11:02:36 AM
When they start up as they should we call them baby.  When they don't we have a wide assortment of names for them.

Funny you should say that, last year, when I rebuilt our 429..... I had it all ready to fire.
A mate was sitting inside to turn the key so I could hold the throttle and start the camshaft break-in procedure.

I looked at the mate, you ready?
I looked at the engine and said, ok baby, you ready too?

First hit, I doubt we even got a full revolution and she sprang straight into life.
My mate just looked at me, shaking his head while yelling.... Did you just ask car if it was ready and call it baby?

Over the following week, he told just about everyone we both know what i'd done.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

jaxops

Sure they do!

• Leaky
  • Won't start
  • Unreliable (my favorite)
  • Hot, Hot, Hot!!!
  • Gas Hog
Mostly kidding although I did go through these like the "stages of restoration."
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Since the 30's, Cadillacs were known as Luxury cars that had "adequate" performance.  VERY FEW of the purchasers had much interest in what was under the hood because they knew they would not be disappointed by Cadillac's standard offerings.  The various motor series were known to Cadillac Engineering by some obscure numbering system as were all the experimental motors, but names were for motors of cars that had less to offer than the Cadillac.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-