News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

365 frustration

Started by CadillacRob, March 25, 2018, 08:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

I finally have my 1956 365 back from the builder, I had to repair my oil pan....finally got that completed, installed, engine painted, and I'm reading an article last night of a 1958 365 rebuild.  They show this picture - arrow points to a felt seal that goes on the oil pump intake which prevents it from sucking air....sure enough it's in my gasket set....was never installed!  Now I have to ruin my cork gasket pulling off the oil pan to get to this.   >:(

Here's a link to the pic..
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/building-a-torquey-1958-cadillac-el-dorado-triple-carb-v-8/

Scroll down to number 15 for the picture.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Roger Zimmermann

This felt seal was also dicussed somewhere in this forum. If I remembered well, somebody had an oil pressure problem; as I had a '59 oil pump in my spare parts, I saw that there was a felt seal when the oilpump from the man with trouble had none. He installed one to cure his problems.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

CadillacRob

Glad to hear it. 

I have got to find a way to post pictures here to ensure what I have looks correct.  That felt seal doesn't seem to be the world's tightest fit, as the pickup tube has some play in it. 
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

J. Gomez

Bob,

The felt washer would just fit in the tube of the strainer at the oil pump not tight to allow the strainer to drop down, it seals once the pump is in operation.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

walt chomosh #23510

Rob,
  The oil pans are full of oil when running so the felt seal does nothing until the oil level drops approx 1quart then the top end will rattle. You will be sucking air then and this will lead to bearing damage. I know all of this from experience. I was fortunate, all I had to do was replace my rod bearings. (no crank damage)....walt...tulsa,ok

Scot Minesinger

Rob,

My first thought is consider yourself fortunate that the "professional" who worked on your engine did not mislead you be throwing away the gasket so you would think that it was installed.  Luckily the gasket will be installed and the engine will not suffer the damage from low oil pressure. 

My second thought was hopefully that was the only issue the "professional" did not attend to.

My last thought was, anything you can do yourself you should, and if not help, and if not supervise/inspect more frequently, and cross your fingers and pray if you cannot be involved.

This type of message seems to be quite predominant on the forum unfortunately.

Hope this turns out great!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

CadillacRob

Thanks guys, before I button it up for good this time I'll uloaud a picture to ensure what I did is correct!
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

lets see if this works
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

great it works on my computer just not my phone.  I put the felt gasket in between those two "washers" on the pickup tube.  Does it look correct in the final photo above?
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

walt chomosh #23510

Rob,
  I don't even see the felt seal in the last pic. Remember, it is preventing air from being sucked into the pump should the level drop below it. The raised "washer" on the pickup tube is where the seal is made. (pump side) My gasket kit was short the felt seal so I used a hole punch and knocked a hole in some felt stock. I made the fit on the tube fairly tight.(hole) I learned from deepening oil pans that the suction of an OP is VERY high and a pickup tube can stretch all the way to the bottom of the pan (not really that great of distance,3/8 inch?) and block oil. (this has nothing to do with your pump and pickup, just general information) Wish you the best!....walt...tulsa,ok

CadillacRob

Thanks.  Those pictures are out of order.  The first one is how it currently sits, you can see the felt gasket in there. 
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville