News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need some help with a ‘49

Started by Luvrv8, March 26, 2018, 11:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luvrv8

I have the job of restoring the frame of a 49 convertible. This was a basket case. I am in the last few days of finishing it. Can anyone tell me where the oil pressure line goes in the engine and also the coolant temp sensor.  I have all the manuals and can’t figure it out, also did a search here.

Jay Friedman

The oil pressure line goes in a threaded hole at the rear of the top of the block just beyond the rear right (passenger's) side of the valley (valve lifter chamber) cover.  There are 2 threaded holes together there: one vertical which should have a threaded plug in it and a horizontal larger in diameter threaded hole which is for the oil pressure line.

The coolant temp sensor goes into a threaded hole at the rear of the right (passenger's) side cylinder head.  This hole faces toward the rear of the car and is almost 1 inch in diameter so should be easy to see.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddy Wizard

Here are some photos that might help.  The last photo shows the oil pressure sender line -- it is a very skinny tube with a nut on the end of it...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Caddy Wizard

This blow-up shows most of what you need to know.  If you look at the distributor's vacuum advance, you see that it has a metal vacuum line screwed into it.  Behind that in the picture you can see the skinny oil pressure sender line bending in an arc and screwed into a fitting in the engine block.  Just to the left of the arc of the oil pressure sending line is a wire that attaches to the water temperature sender on the back of the cylinder head.  To the left of that is the vacuum hose ascending out of the frame of the picture.  Just to the left of that is the engine ground strap that connects from the back of the cylinder head to the firewall -- there are two of these, one on the back of each cylinder head and secured to the heads with 5/16" threaded short bolts (with 1/2" heads).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Luvrv8

Thanks for the help, that was fast. You guys know the car. Makes sense the engine builder painted the engine and then for the oil line he put a non painted plug in it. Hoping the owner can hear it run for the first time this week. Body work and is done at a body shop so it appears this car was saved. Thanks again for the help and knowledge.

Jay Friedman

Don't know if this minor point is important to you or the owner, but I see the vibration damper (harmonic balancer) on your motor is painted black.  On a '49 to be authentic it should be painted blue, the same color as the rest of the engine.   
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Caddy Wizard

This would be an excellent time to send the exhaust manifolds out to be coated with a ceramic that looks like cast iron.  Probably cost 200 and will allow them to look new indefinitely.  On a high-end restoration, this is money well spent...
Art Gardner

Luvrv8

The manifolds and the painting of the engine parts have been brought up to the owner. I am just trying to finish the rolling chassis and power train for him. I usually don't get involved with basket cases but somehow I am in the middle. Should be done with it next week and then the body shop can take over, pretty sure the rest of the items like correct painted parts will be handled there.