News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 eldorado convertible back seat removal

Started by 76 cadillac bob, March 26, 2018, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

I am replacing the "snake eye" monitor on my eldo I need to remove the back of the back seat, however, there are seat belt retractors where I believe the bolts are, can someone confirm this? I have the new monitor and the old one is buried between the top well and the back seat shell.
I prefer not to fish them through due to the delicate nature of the fibre optics.

ByronF

That is how it is on my 72 Eldorado as well. Spent an hour trying to figure out how to remove the retractor covers without breaking them to get to the bolt. If you can figure out how to remove them please post your technique.

joecaristo

You must remove the lower seat first and then unbolt the seat belts (Torx bolts) to remove the back seat.
The lower seat is on a "spring hinge" on the floor. Push the lower seat back until it unhinges.
Joe
Joe Caristo

76 cadillac bob

Thanks you are correct, I have removed back seat as suggested and see the bolts, now, I have to remove the torx bolt and that removes the seat belt retractor and the back seat bracket.  I will let you know how it goes. Luckily all seat belts bolts have been removed within the past couple of years so rust is not an issue. I hear horror stories of stuck bolts. Mine are clean just old. BTW this is how you get to the rear speakers as well. I had new ones installed a year ago.
More to follow.

Eldorado James

joecaristo got it right......and yes, Bob, you are lucky if they are not rusted in!  The task becomes quite more difficult if they are.

It's a torx50....buy the impact version of the socket if you don't have one.  The cheap low "standard" ones twist at the ends and become useless...even breaking off at times  The impact versions are much more durable.  If one bolt is fussy, use an impact wrench instead of your ratchet drive...it's hard to get good pressure on that bolt while turning.  Have fun~!

Eldorado James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.