News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

That HURT

Started by 60eldo, March 26, 2018, 09:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

This is me 5 years ago, I walked out to my garage at nite and walked in to the drivers side spear of my 60 eldorado,,,,,OOOUUUCCCHHH!!!!
Jon. Kluczynski

chrisntam

I've often wondered about injuries related to fins, now I have confirmation.

Ouch.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: 60eldo on March 26, 2018, 09:26:41 PM
   This is me 5 years ago, I walked out to my garage at nite and walked in to the drivers side spear of my 60 eldorado,,,,,OOOUUUCCCHHH!!!!

Can we see it now?  ;D ;D ;D
                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

z3skybolt

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

David Greenburg

My Eldo bit me awhile back as well. Went for my eye.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Glen

The rear bumper on my 68 ELDO has caught my shin several times.  Its almost as sharp as the 59 60 tail fins.  My jeans help protect me, but I still get scab a few days later.         
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve Passmore

My 59 caught me in the same place about 8 years back. Certainly not as bad as that though.  Acceptable injuries I feel for the overall joy ;D ;D ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Quentin Hall

When I met Dave Holls himself at the 96 grand nats he told me that he didn’t want it known for many years that he was responsible for the 59 60 fin designs , for fear of a lawsuit over the amount of ”paperboys on pushbikes who had impaled themselves.”
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

D.Smith

Yup. Been there done that!    I was working behind my 61 one day, turned around and got my arm real good on the tail fin.  Hurt like hell and was bruised for a day or two.    So yes, I 've always believed those stories about people who got hurt on fins.   

metalblessing

I havent been injured yet but the very first time I opened one of the back doors in my 68 hearse, as i leaned in to cleanup the back coach area my new t-shirt snagged on the side of the door and ripped a big hole in my shirt.

Was a nice band shirt I had just bought a week before too. I've also bumped my head several times on sharp, broken hood lip trim. I suspect im not the only one, I have learned to keep my head down when I am moving in and out of the hood, with enough force you could really get yourself a bad head wound
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, ouch The curved corner of the 55's hood opening always kisses me on the top of the head. Wouldn't be too bad but I don't have hair up there anymore to hide the cut.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

David Greenburg

Once you get past the Corvair stuff, Unsafe at Any Speed describes several fatalities caused by tailfins. I’ll spare you the details.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: David Greenburg on March 27, 2018, 01:12:27 AM
.. Went for my eye.

The '93-'96 Fltwd Brghm front doors' upper rear sheet-metal 'edge'.. terrifies me in terms of my eye(s).

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I wasn't maimed, but not too long after I got the '91 Seville, I was getting in it and pulled a muscle below my right knee. I still use my right hand to help lift my leg up for fear of a repeat. A heating pad after I got home finally helped to relieve the pain. Boy, but it smarted.

The day I did it, I thought I was going to have to leave the car in the church parking lot and walk home as I simply couldn't get my leg up high enough to get into the car.  It was only a few blocks (small town) but I finally got in. It's pretty bad when you can't move around your own car without worrying about it doing you in.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

WTL

Quote from: David Greenburg on March 27, 2018, 01:08:11 PM
Once you get past the Corvair stuff, Unsafe at Any Speed describes several fatalities caused by tailfins. I’ll spare you the details.

This will be why we never see true fins again on an automobile.  Best we can hope for are vertical led taillights that suggest a fin, such as on the new escalades or even the strange honda civic tailights.