News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 DeVille Cornering lamps

Started by Bryan Thompson, March 28, 2018, 07:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Thompson

Good morning technical wizards one and all,

Sadly I'm not an electrician.  I recently acquired nice low mileage nearly all original 1967 DeVille Convertible.  As with any new acquisition I knew there would be some bugs.  One that I didn't expect is blinking cornering lamps. My first purchase after she arrived was a 1967 Cadillac Service manual.  I've looked  at the wiring page till my eyes go crossed, which is quite serious as I only have one working eye.   I've spent about an hour and a half under the dash trying to figure out which wire or group of wires to check to find out why this is happening.  (I'm assuming based on all my other previous Cadillacs they aren't supposed to blink).  :o Thank you for any help and I won't ask about being gentile this time.     
I would rather push an old Cadillac, than drive a new anything:-)

67_Eldo

I have a 67 Eldorado, but its cornering-light design appears to be shared with the rest of the Cadillac family, so I'll hazard some info.

The cornering lamps are connected to the directional-signal switch, but the cornering lamps shouldn't blink. The cornering lamps remain constantly illuminated until the directional switch is returned to its middle position.

However, my cornering lamps "blink" too -- although not in sync with the turn signals -- because the cornering-lamp switch (located inside the steering column) is flaky. Sometimes one of my cornering lights spontaneously illuminates because something in the switch is making contact for some unknown reason.

This didn't come as a huge surprise to me since my directional-signal switch doesn't work properly either. I have to hold the turn-signal stalk in place to make the turn signals blink left or right. As soon as I release the stalk, the stalk returns to its neutral position and the chosen light (usually) stops flashing.

So I'm afraid that to repair your cornering-lamp issue, you'll have to disassemble the steering column and attack the wiring in the vicinity of the turn-signal mechanics.

I haven't dug into that problem on my car yet. It is part of my long To-Do list!

Good luck!

Bryan Thompson

Well heck, I guess that's why I couldn't find the little curve connector I was looking for.  Mine blink in synchronicity with whichever turn signal I turn on.  I'm not sure how often I'll drive a night but, just knowing it isn't right.....Guess I'll turn to the "take the steering wheel off page" and see what's in there.  Thanks I have a place to start.

Glen

On a hunch… check the grounds on the lights.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Julien Abrahams

Well, originally, the cornering light on either side should come on when the headlights are on and the turn signal lever is used. If the headlights are off, they shoudl stay off. It sounds like you either have some gremlins inside the steering column, or some previous owner has rewired the cornerring lights.
Do you have a regular steering column or til & telescope? In the first case, you could change the turn sigal switch. The t&t switch is very hard to find.

In my '67 the cornering lights would never come on. My problem is in the turn signal switch. I have added wires (with relays)  from the  turn signal lights to the cornering lights. I don't mind that they blink with the corresponding turn signal. I think it is cool 😊
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on March 29, 2018, 03:23:30 AM
On a hunch… check the grounds on the lights. 

Right here. I had poor grounds in my 1968. the ground is via the socket's outer shell to the lamp housing, so it needs to be clean and tight.

Check for 12V at the hot wire going to the socket with the turn signal on and the headlights on. If you get a steady 12V then its the ground. If not, well, if you are adventurous, you can rebuild the TS switch. If you don't have T&T, they are reasonable to buy, but if you have T&T get out the manual and your little electrical kit! Or pay up the wazoo for one. 67 and 68 two years only.

Access is through the wheel well. You have to remove the bezel and housing and then the plastic lamp separates and THEN you can get to bulb out to check.

In 1969 bulb access got much easier from a socket that twisted out the back and it had its own ground wire to the chassis, but we have 67s and 68s.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bryan Thompson

Thanks for the replies.  As both sides blink with the turn signals I guess i'm taking off my steering wheel. Not tilt, although I wish it was and would like to get a tilt column to put in someday...... Thanks again.

cadillacmike68

While it is likely in the switch, check the voltage for steady or pulsing before you take apart the column. You can use a meter or a test light on the wire as it comes off the bottom of the column and / or at the bulb location
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike