News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac won't share the new Twin-Turbo with the Corvette

Started by Eldorado James, March 29, 2018, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldorado James

LOL.....well, I can see how people assumed they would be sharing the powerful new 4.2L, since the CT6 V-sport is being assembled at the Corvette factory in Bowling Green, KY.  I'd guess Chevy has their own plans for the next generation of Vette engine.  In the mean time....Cadillac has an exclusive power plant to market. 

Context:  The Eldorado 500 (at it's one-year peak during 1970) was 8.2L and gave you around 400 horsepower/ 550+ ft-lbs of Torque.  The Twin Turbo is HALF that displacement (4.2L) and overloads you with 550 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque.  My how times change....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cadillac-corvette-not-getting-twin-185500778.html

Eldorado James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just curious about how many of these motors will go the 500K that the old ones did?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

There is nothing new about big torque from a boosted engine, our WWII
aircraft did it with water injection and 130 octane gas.  And it certainly
worked on my 62 Jetfire.  But without that high octane, I wonder how
they are doing it now?  Ethanol? 

And yea, I really have my doubts about the lifetime of those super
hot engines?  I noted when they put a Vett V8 in the Cad, it went
from an aluminum head to iron.  My guess, because iron-iron in a
Cad wil give the expected lifetime, iron-aluminum maybe not. 

And I wish they would fix the login, please don't blame users, this
is the only list this happens.    Bruce Roe

64\/54Cadillacking

The old big block cast iron Caddy V8’s could last forever if one chooses to really maintain it well.

With the right oil especially using full syn I don’t see why they couldn’t.

It’s awesome and very exciting to finally see Cadillac with it’s own exclusive engine that we haven’t seen in decades. Corvette is jealous lol. Let them salvitate over this hahaha. Caddy needs one of their own and I’m so glad they aren’t given in to Chevy.

I can’t imagine the power of this new 4.2L V8 in a CT6. That car is made for cruising but it will probably pull like a rocket ship and catch buyers off guard especially the ones that are looking for more of a isolated smooth takeoff might not find it with that engine.

The jury is still out there to see if these newer smaller, more compact, but way more powerful turbo charged engines will last throughout the years. I love the quickness and fast takeoff of many turbo engines, but I fear because with so much power being put out in new cars these days, the heat and added streses on its inner components including the oil will have in its reliability. It’s a real concern, but I’m hopeful since the testing and technology that goes into designing and engineering engines thesedays is so robust and stringent, automakers won’t tolerate failure especially on its drivetrain components. Plus consumers aren’t toleranting mediocre reliability anymore either as the competition is so insanely strong. We have more vehicle choices to decide what we want than ever before.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

The V-8 in a CT6 also includes all-wheel drive (do not like that), and a host of other extremely complex engineering.  You wonder how it could possibly be a 200k car.  Come 2019 or 2020 if I get one, probably will be a lease.  I worry the depreciation will be very high and longevity may be low.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

kgreen

A fundamental concept with both the human body and machinery is that the harder you work them the sooner they wear out.

bcroe

Quote from: Scot Minesinger
The V-8 in a CT6 also includes all-wheel drive (do not like that), and a host of other extremely complex engineering.  You wonder how it could possibly be a 200k car.  Come 2019 or 2020 if I get one, probably will be a lease.  I worry the depreciation will be very high and longevity may be low. 

There are a couple all wheel drive vehicles here, and they have proved
their worth.  The AWD Honda CRV is at 400,000 miles, and it is running
so well, I am starting to think about 500,000.  Just a front-rear drive
shaft replaced so far, of the AWD.  Bruce Roe