News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 cylinderhead 365 cui

Started by CadillacSDV56, April 01, 2018, 06:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacSDV56

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me. My cylinder head on the driver's side is cracked. Good cylinderheads are rare to find. My question is now, also fit cylinder heads from 1957,1958 or from the 390 cui block? The cylinderhead gaskets till 63 are the same I think.

Happy easter time to everbody.

1956 Cadillac Sedan deVille
1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d´Elegance

fishnjim

According to the parts list, there's an "early"(by motor numbers) '57 that probably drops in.   The later use different pushrods, so you have some "adapting" to do to make them work; length, lift, etc.   Lifters appear the same.   The blocks are all similar til '61, just the stuff that goes in/on changes but moving parts have to be done correctly to tolerance. 
I'd pursue having it repaired first or find a drop in replacement.  That will give best car value. 
If your head can not be repaired, and you absolutely can't find one, then you might want to go through the hassle/cost.  The later ones also cracked, so finding good ones is key, ie not gaining much.   I'd change both sides if I changed to non - '56-57 head years.  And old heads need new valve seats and valves for today's gas.   Once you're that far in, you need to consider what else needs replaced/rebuilt.   You might have more cracks that you don't even know you have.   They're a bit notorious for cracking.
Maybe someone will step up that has a good set...Post on "want to buy" forum.

LV 57 SEDAN DE VILLE

On my 57 I used 1959 390 heads. You need the rocker shaft assemblies from the 390. The stands are different the center the rockers on the larger valves. Use the pushrods from the 56.

CadillacRob

Fwiw, my machine shop repaired my 365 heads.  Both cracked.  Old machine shop guy said he wasn't surprised at all, said they all commonly cracked back then.  He pinned them - not sure if that's the correct terminology.  Basically you drill a hole on either side of the crack, tap a hole, screw in a plug, drill and tap another hole over half the previous plug, and you continue, overlapping each previous plug until it is covered.  Then remachine.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

gary griffin

The taps and pins method is called stitching and can be done by most component machinists!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

CadillacSDV56

Does anyone knows the cast number of 1959 or 1960 390 lh and rh cylinderheads?

J. Gomez

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

chstitans42

T Jager,
i am parting out a 56 Fleetwood, and have a set of cylinder heads I would be willing to sell you. I can send you pics of what ever side you want, seeing they are already pulled from the car. Can you be more specific where they crack? Id like $100 each. Let me know if you are interested.

CadillacSDV56

Thank you for the helpful answers.

Quote from: chstitans42 on April 03, 2018, 09:46:50 PM
T Jager,
i am parting out a 56 Fleetwood, and have a set of cylinder heads I would be willing to sell you. I can send you pics of what ever side you want, seeing they are already pulled from the car. Can you be more specific where they crack? Id like $100 each. Let me know if you are interested.

I need the left cylinderhead, the crack is at the intake valve and through the seat.