News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado Master Cylinder W/Factory Disc Brakes

Started by Flyer, April 01, 2018, 12:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I am trying to locate a 1967 Eldorado brake master cylinder with factory disc brakes. It was a factory option for that year and only a small percentage of cars were built with that option. Some previous owner replaced the original master cylinder with the four wheel drum brake master cylinder. The original master cylinder was a Bendix, GM #1490237.  I have looked at every Cadillac parts company I can find from the normal sources in Hemmings, The Self Starter, Ebay and Google. Does anyone out there have an idea as to where I might find one? Thanks much. Hugh

67_Eldo

I also have a 67 Eldorado with disc brakes but the previous owners never swapped out the original master cylinder. So when I had my brakes overhauled, a local brake shop was able to boil the original out and make it look and work like new. Still, I keep an eye out for 67 Eldo disc-brake pieces, just in case.

I see that Rock Auto has a few master cylinders listed for the 67 Eldo but they never specify disc brakes in a way that is definitive. You can email them with specific questions and see if they've got what you want.

There's a guy on eBay who is selling one for $499+, but I don't think I'd go that route. :-)

The last time you asked this question, 67 Doeskin suggested you look for an Oldsmobile Toronado swap. This is a very good idea because, as far as I can tell, the 67 Toronado and the 67 Eldo went through the same disc-brake teething pains. Brake-wise, they should be the same car. And the Toronado master cylinders are in the $50 range. So I'd take my "Cadillac" master cylinder into a parts store and compare it -- side by side -- with an "Oldsmobile" master cylinder. If they're both Bendix, they both came from the same source anyway.

Good luck!

cadillacmike68

From my reading of the rockauto catalog, the 1967 Eldorado master for disc bakes was the same as the master for 1968-69 Cadillacs RWD, so that might make it easier to find.

That of course is assuming that the ra catalog database is correct, and it is Not always so.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

You can use a 69 or 70 Eldorado unit.   The only difference is one of the years has the brake lines coming out the opposite side.   But brake lines are easy to bend/make by any good shop. 

My 68 needed a new one.  Had a terrible time finding a 68 unit.  Finally I talked to a retired Cadillac guy who worked in parts and service.   When I mentioned the 67,68, 69 & 70 all had different part numbers he said that is because each year they made improvements.  The 67-70 Eldorado firewall is the same so they will all bolt up no trouble.   He was like "why wouldn't you want the 70 unit as it will be better then the 68". 

Caddyholic

Try removing the residual pressure valve from the front circuit on the all drum master cyl. Drum brakes use it to compensate for the return springs. You don’t need it for discs. They will drag with it installed.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Dave Shepherd

White Post restorations in Va. does a nice job rebuilding and sleeving any master cylinder.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Caddyholic on April 02, 2018, 09:40:23 AM
Try removing the residual pressure valve from the front circuit on the all drum master cyl. Drum brakes use it to compensate for the return springs.
The residual pressure has another reason: to maintain the rubber lip against the cylinder wall. The return springs are calculated to avoid that the brakes are draging and overcome that residual pressure.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Caddyholic

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on April 02, 2018, 11:29:14 AM
The residual pressure has another reason: to maintain the rubber lip against the cylinder wall. The return springs are calculated to avoid that the brakes are draging and overcome that residual pressure.

Roger  OK, but do you agree with this solution?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

67_Eldo

I would be concerned about the fact that the disc calipers on the 67-68 differ from those on the 69-70. I would think that the earlier four-piston calipers would require different front-rear proportioning than the later two-piston calipers.

I'd also worry about the differences between the Delco-Moraine and the Bendix units.

I'm a worrier when it comes to stopping a 5000-lb car! :-)

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, I do. Try to remove the residual pressure valve on a car with drums, the cylinders will leak after a while. The seals from the calipers are working differently, just by elasticity, without movement on the seal. Of course, when the pads are getting thinner, the piston is moving a tad on the seal, but only to compensate for the wear.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 67_Eldo on April 02, 2018, 12:30:51 PM
I would be concerned about the fact that the disc calipers on the 67-68 differ from those on the 69-70. I would think that the earlier four-piston calipers would require different front-rear proportioning than the later two-piston calipers.

I'd also worry about the differences between the Delco-Moraine and the Bendix units.

I'm a worrier when it comes to stopping a 5000-lb car! :-)

There IS a difference when mounting a DELCO-Moraine master to a Bendix booster and vice versa, they do not match up well, however, the masters themselves as long as you are matching it up the the same mfr booster will fit ok,
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

67_Eldo

67 Cadillac

I have the Toronado Master Cylinder in my Eldo now and it works perfectly. I also saw the one for sale on ebay for 499.00. I bought the Oldmobile part for 49.00. If you have trouble finding what you are looking for let me know and I'll see if there is another one available. I bought mine over a year ago.
J

TJ Hopland

Is the volume different between the 4 piston and the single?   The 4's are pretty small compared to the single so maybe they are not much different?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Flyer

Thanks for all the suggestions on the 1967 Eldorado disc brake master cylinder. I finally found an original master cylinder and sold my first born to pay for it. I also bought a 1967 Toronado master cylinder for comparison at O'Reilly for $33.00, part # BHH 10-1339. The two compared very closely when examined side by side. Brake lines were the same size and position, the bolt pattern matches, depth of piston rod was 1 5/8 inches on both units. The fluid cavities were slightly larger on the Toronado(2-3mm) and the "tube" that houses the piston at the rear of the cylinder and fits in the vacuum housing is 3 mm larger on the Toronado cylinder but it still mounts flush in the housing. The pressure and gravity holes in the bottom of the cylinder cavities were slightly larger on the Toronado unit. I did not dismantle the units to see if the internal parts matched. The Tornado unit was stamped "Bendix" the original was not. The original had protrusions at the brake line entry point on both sides of the casting so that brake lines could be cut into the casting for the drivers side or the passenger side while the Tornado unit only had the brake line setup for the drivers side. The caps are both single bail units and the cylinder caps are interchangeable. The Toranado unit gasket  and original are slightly different but again interchangeable. The Tornado unit gasket was stamped "BENDIX 2225441, NPC 9". If I had not been able to locate an original unit I would have tried the Toronado unit like "67 Cadillac" did and I believe it would work just fine. 

67_Eldo

Varooom

This may be a bump just by 8 days over 30; however, the thread is a great one.

I just acquired a 1967 Eldorado with front disc brakes and realized it has the drum-only master cylinder on it.  Now I know why the brakes are weak. 

Has anyone actually installed a Toronado master cylinder on a 67 Eldorado with front disc brakes as Flyer discusses?  If so what were the results? 

The rebuilt ones I see for sale are $750 now.  I hate to fork over that much if the Toronado works from O'Reilly's
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

67 Cadillac

I installed a Toronado Master Cylinder in my 67 Eldorado. It went in without a hitch and it works as it should. If you aren't planning to have a close to perfect show car it's probably a good way to go.

Jeff

Varooom

Quote from: 67 Cadillac on July 18, 2018, 10:01:19 AM
I installed a Toronado Master Cylinder in my 67 Eldorado. It went in without a hitch and it works as it should. If you aren't planning to have a close to perfect show car it's probably a good way to go.

Jeff
Great!  That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Jeff - Do you have the Bendix or Delco Moraine power booster on your Eldo?  Attached is a photo of what I have in my car. 

I understand that each brand of power booster requires a different master cylinder per the supplier on eBay.  Is there that sort of difference in the Toronado power boosters?  Where did you get yours?  Part number?

I will "pay to play" if I have to but I just want a cruiser and hate to blow money. 
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

67 Cadillac

I don't have a clue Dan. I just went to my local parts store with my master cylinder in hand. The guy obviously couldn't find the correct Eldo part but had the Toro one in stock. I compared both and they looked almost exactly the same. It bolted right on. I'd be glad to take a look tomorrow. How do I identify which booster is in my car?
Jeff