News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Series 60 - Trim question

Started by Steve Strickland, April 02, 2018, 08:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Strickland

All,

I am in the process of removing all of the chrome and trim for a repaint (I believe this is the second time the car has been painted, but the first time that trim has been removed). As I am taking it off, I have noticed small pieces of leather in areas and a putty like substance (it is still pliable) used at the ends of all the body trim. It's typically about 3 or 4 inches long on the fenders, doors and around the windows. I didn't notice any on the sill moldings or skirt moldings however. Were these were used to lesson vibration and to stop wind noise from where two pieces met?

When I get ready to reassemble, what can I use to replace the putty? I have corded seam sealer that I've used on body panels that seems to be similar. I don't know how long that stays pliable though as I've always smoothed and painted over it.

Steve Strickland