News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Distributor Question

Started by Loveofclassics78, April 04, 2018, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loveofclassics78

Good evening. A quick question to anyone who has done the points to HEI conversion before.  Which direction did you set your distributor so it doesn't bump into anything? Or did anyone have this problem at all? Thanks!

Don

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here it is in my '72 Eldo.

The first picture is the initial installation, and the second one is with the Acell Coil.

I had to modify the top of the Acell Coil cover to clear the hood lining, as it was too tall.   The grey tape simply covers the hole.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Bruce's picture is typical.   The connection nub on the cap gets pretty close to the radiator hose.   It doesn't leave you much room to swing it around before the vacuum can hits something so you will often have to pull it back out to move one tooth on the gear or cheat and move all the wires over one terminal to get it timed where you want. 

There wasn't any major changes other than the belts when the factory went HEI so that vacuum can hitting things was the same on a factory system as a retrofit.    Many engines have that problem as anyone who has messed with distributors will tell you.  You always wonder if it will be worth the trouble of pulling it for one tooth. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Chris Bryant #19358

Hello Bruce,

I've seen that carburetor before but forgotten the name (it was in the early 70's). Is it as good as the inventor said it would be - I see you are still using it?

Cheers,

Chris Bryant #19358

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Isn't that a Tasmanian wallaby trap?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

A Predator 930 CFM single barrel Carburetor, Variable Venturi.

This is the Predator 5000.   The first one I purchased in 1978, and put on my 350 Chev in my '37 Chev Hot Rod.   The carby has been on all types of engines from a 186 Cu In Holden 6 cyl, to my 440 Cu In L88 in my '37, then my Dragster.   The beauty of them is they can't over-carburate the engine as the variable venturi feature only allows the engine to receive the amount of air it wants.

These Model 5000 Carbs were Tin Plated and were the fore-runners of the Model 6000, the most common ones.   I was the local dealer for them early on, and once the buyers realised that they were totally different to other carbs, they enjoyed the performance, and the fuel economy, once they got over the performance qualities.  The closest thing to Fuel Injection without the hassles of injectors, fuel pumps and the like.   Sounds like an advertisement.

But, with the Cadillac Eldo, I had to perform a few modifications to get the hood to close, as they are 2" taller than a Holley, so I had to be creative to retain the air cleaner and hood lining, but that in itself is another story.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon