News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

End of the line for this 1958

Started by johnregrus, April 08, 2018, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

I was out at Desert Valley Auto Wreckers in Casa Grande, Arizona yesterday looking for a few parts. This limo was sitting in the yard.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Jeepers Creepers

Hard to imagine, but somebody swung that into their driveway back in 58 proud as punch.
The neighbours (Oz spelling) would've come over to check out the brand spanking new, latest offering from the G.M. Cadillac division.

The sparkling paint, dazzling chrome work, elegant interior of 1958, now just a rusting hulk.

Rust In Peace.  :'(
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Dan Koser

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 08, 2018, 02:28:15 AM
Hard to imagine, but somebody swung that into their driveway back in 58 proud as punch.
The neighbours (Oz spelling) would've come over to check out the brand spanking new, latest offering from the G.M. Cadillac division.

The sparkling paint, dazzling chrome work, elegant interior of 1958, now just a rusting hulk.

Rust In Peace.  :'(
Well said. That front bumper looks pretty good though! It can take on a new life as an "organ" donor...and help many others live on for future generations to enjoy.

59-in-pieces

John,
Thanks for the pic - although it saddens me - far more than it would if it had been a coupe, because the limos are so much more rare.

It must be like an archeologist who discovers the fossilized bones of a dinosaur, and stops to think of what a majestic beast it must have been back in its day.

X2 - Rust In Peace.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jeepers Creepers

This a car I stumbled across a few klm from my house. I let Keith Dean know about and its now doing the organ donor thing out of Brisbane.
Like a lot of stuff, rusty the home wrecker gets started and its all over red rover.

This thing had a lot of "wet rust" in it, as opposed to the "dry rust" you get from a desert climate, so just not worth the effort to be fixed.
Australia

cadillac ken

It seems pretty much all production cars become valueless at some point in their life.  Some get resurrected because tastes change and values go up.

Most don't.  When I moved to my town over 25 years ago there was a man I met that told of his job at the local junkyard here.  He confessed to crushing a 1958 or '57 Biarritz (he couldn't remember which) that drove in.  Top was in tatters and as one would expect it did not go up or down, barely ran on the multiple carbs, and was generally "shot" -- his words. 

Hard for us to believe nowadays, but I'm sure a lot of great cars were treated with the same lack of respect at some point in time.

The Tassie Devil(le)

There are many stories of vehicles meeting a sad demise before their time.   Usually at the lowest ebb of their depreciation value.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

What you have to remember is this, if they were not crushed in massive numbers there would be so many around that our cars would be worth nothing.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

In 1858 a car lot near my house let us wait for the school bus in back row cars which had never sold and would sooner or later go to the junk yard. Siting in a Lincoln coupe I saw the V-12 ash tray was identical to the V-8 ash tray in my 1936 Ford.  I asked the owner of the car lot and he let me have it.  I fooled a lot of friends with my V-12 Ford. Ford long gone but sure wish I still had the ashtray!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

Heck, I wish I still had my '36 Ford Coupe, and al the other cars I owned, or saw going really cheap.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

raugusti

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if these Fleetwoods or commercial cars have a larger front sway bar than the Series 62?  I though I might call DVAP on this, because the one on the Seville is 11/16 and looks tiny.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

Jeepers Creepers

On the 63/64's, yeah, the front sway bar is a heavier unit.

Don't know about the rest, but I would expect so.
Australia