News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front Disc brake conversion with stock 52 cadillac wire wheels

Started by longhornlarry, April 10, 2018, 02:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhornlarry

Hi,
My 52 Cadillac convertible has stock Cadillac wire wheels. Anyone had any experience with converting front drum to disc brake with the stock wire wheels,clearance etc.

Thanks
Larry W Smith
aka longhornlarry

Carl Fielding

Hey Longhorn' : are your present front brakes shot and in need of major work ? If not , might be a better idea to just put a dual chamber master cylinder in it. Unless you are going to drive your '52 harder and faster than I used to do when I was a leadfoot kid moving '39s , '49s , '57 , '62 , and of course my '65 Eldo rolling on pumped up Michelin Xs , slipstreaming Porsches downhill on fast , winding mountain roads , I think you will find your brakes at least adequate as they are. You don't anticipate towing heavy trailers with it over high mountain passes , do you ? In that case , and if you actually DO drive harder and heavier than I used to do in my old Cads , you ABSOLUTELY MUST CONVERT TO DISCS !    Please drive safely. I might be coming around the next corner headed right at YOU !     - Cadillac Carl

cadillacmike68

Do you have access to a 70s or 80s full size RWD? If so try to test fit one of your wheels to the front hub. The Cadillac / GM single piston sliding caliper didn't really change its size from the first 1968 ones to the last 1996 Fleetwood, because they ALL take the SAME front pads.

I know the early Fords and Lincolns and Chrysler cars had larger calipers that were made smaller by 1970 or so, but not the big GM ones. I remember some wheels scraping on a 1966 Lincoln calipers way back.

If the wheel clears the caliper, you should be good to go. If they don't clear, and there's only a small amount of binding, a thin spacer, not more than 1/4 inch should work work. If you have to put a thicker than 1/4" spacer, that might not be a good idea.

OR

You get a smaller caliper based aftermarket kit which may or may not have enough stopping power for the heavy 1952 Cadillac.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

longhornlarry

Thanks for the replies. Will keep you posted on project.

Longhornlarry

longhornlarry

Quote from: Carl Fielding on April 10, 2018, 03:21:33 PM
Hey Longhorn' : are your present front brakes shot and in need of major work ? If not , might be a better idea to just put a dual chamber master cylinder in it. Unless you are going to drive your '52 harder and faster than I used to do when I was a leadfoot kid moving '39s , '49s , '57 , '62 , and of course my '65 Eldo rolling on pumped up Michelin Xs , slipstreaming Porsches downhill on fast , winding mountain roads , I think you will find your brakes at least adequate as they are. You don't anticipate towing heavy trailers with it over high mountain passes , do you ? In that case , and if you actually DO drive harder and heavier than I used to do in my old Cads , you ABSOLUTELY MUST CONVERT TO DISCS !    Please drive safely. I might be coming around the next corner headed right at YOU !     - Cadillac Carl

longhornlarry

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 11, 2018, 01:35:28 AM
Do you have access to a 70s or 80s full size RWD? If so try to test fit one of your wheels to the front hub. The Cadillac / GM single piston sliding caliper didn't really change its size from the first 1968 ones to the last 1996 Fleetwood, because they ALL take the SAME front pads.

I know the early Fords and Lincolns and Chrysler cars had larger calipers that were made smaller by 1970 or so, but not the big GM ones. I remember some wheels scraping on a 1966 Lincoln calipers way back.

If the wheel clears the caliper, you should be good to go. If they don't clear, and there's only a small amount of binding, a thin spacer, not more than 1/4 inch should work work. If you have to put a thicker than 1/4" spacer, that might not be a good idea.

OR

You get a smaller caliper based aftermarket kit which may or may not have enough stopping power for the heavy 1952 Cadillac.

bcroe

Quote from: longhornlarry
Thanks for the replies. Will keep you posted on project.
Longhornlarry     

Front drums may be fine driving to the grocery store.  They did
some really scary things to me when wet.  Stick with the project.
good luck, Bruce Roe