News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Take a look at this 1955 Eldorado

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, April 16, 2018, 08:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I bought a 55 Eldorado that was Elvis pink when I got it.

I wasn't going to drive a pink Cadillac, but the body tag said the car was silver originally.........I thought that with that color the chrome & trim would disappear into the paint.

I found this period picture of a silver 55 Eldo on eBay and I think I was right.......the car looks like a shiny dime.........your thoughts.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KwIAAOSw4J5a1BEj/s-l1600.jpg

ps....... I painted my car a 1953 color, artisan ochre with a black convertible top, black interior....it looks pretty good.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

wrench

I like it. My thoughts are since the colors blend, the technical lines of the design are enhanced. The paint doesn't distract from the machine like a red, blue or black painted car would hide the lines...

Makes it appear monolithic, like it was carved from a big chunk of steel.

Actually I agree with you about pink.

Anything but pink.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Actually, I also think the silver color is very
nice.  It's one that's not too common.

Mine is Bahama Blue, another color that's
not ordinary.

So many of the mid 50's years Eldorados
are either red, white or black it's really cool
to see some of the other nice shades that
Cadillac offered.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike B,
I recall a used one from when I was a teen. The color has a lot of gray in it and looks drop dead gorgeous with gray & white interior. That said, color is a matter of taste and I believe owners have the right to chose any livery they see fit. My one caveat is that the colors should be older than vehicle so that it can at least be considered an SO combination available when new.

Mike J, I've thought about all the red, white and black restorations. Are there that many folks with whose favorite colors? I believe it has more to do with trim materials available today....specifically convertible tops and subtly shaded leathers . Cadillac convertible tops were available in a rainbow colors that matched paints exactly but are no longer  produced. Every special Eldorado color had a matching interior leather and top that can only be duplicated by custom order or special processing. That's a big extra expense added to a big restoration bill. IMHO, I think many people take the path of least financial resistance and chose the more readily available colors.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Mike, I thought you'd like to know... "Pete" Peters in Ft. Wayne, (IN) has a Ochre '53 Eldo and when he was ordering a new Corvette, he wanted a match. and he found that a yellow car could only be ordered with a black interior. The Eldo has red leather and he said he wouldn't buy the car unless he could get a red interior to match his '53. GM caved in and his "Vette matches the Eldo.

All of his "old" cars are Eldos and when he is restoring them, he is not satisfied until he has installed each and every accessory that Cadillac offered for that year. His '56 is the Bahama Blue and once when we were in his shop, his son was painting the car, and had a front fender on a stand near the door where you couldn't miss seeing it. It was a fantastic paint job. It appeared that you could take your hand and reach right through the metal, it was that deep and glossy.

He hasn't been active for several years and is sorely missed. He is the reason many of you have Authenticity Manuals.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I love that color on these older cars. Pretty color on its own but goes so well with the chrome.
I would paint either one of my cars that color.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Yes, Barry I'm with you and Ralph...........color preferences are the owners choice.

But, I really think they all should be period correct, even the size of the white walls, and the hubcaps and/or sabres/wire rims all just look better as originally produced..........the original designers really got all that right.

You might not be planning to sell the car but, if the time comes and you have to......I just think you'll have more potential buyers for the car.

PS.....the more I look at the silver 1955 Eldorado the more it's starting to grow on me.......red leather interior...........sounds nice.

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

Scot Minesinger

I like my silver 1970 Caddy.  It looks so regal in person.  To each their own.  I would not select a black interior on a convertible, because if it is over 55'F and sunny (no matter if it is 105'F) the top is down when driving.  BTW, the 1955 Caddy looks good in silver.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 17, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
Mike, I thought you'd like to know... "Pete" Peters in Ft. Wayne, (IN) has a Ochre '53 Eldo and when he was ordering a new Corvette, he wanted a match. and he found that a yellow car could only be ordered with a black interior. The Eldo has red leather and he said he wouldn't buy the car unless he could get a red interior to match his '53. GM caved in and his "Vette matches the Eldo.

All of his "old" cars are Eldos and when he is restoring them, he is not satisfied until he has installed each and every accessory that Cadillac offered for that year. His '56 is the Bahama Blue and once when we were in his shop, his son was painting the car, and had a front fender on a stand near the door where you couldn't miss seeing it. It was a fantastic paint job. It appeared that you could take your hand and reach right through the metal, it was that deep and glossy.

He hasn't been active for several years and is sorely missed. He is the reason many of you have Authenticity Manuals.

Hi Barry:

Yes, I know Pete pretty well in fact I worked with him on
the Authenticity Manual for Class 15 (that was 1997).
I also have seen and talked with him about his '56
Eldorado.

Never had the pleasure to see his shop as you have,
but you're right about one thing -- he is a great
gentleman and very much missed.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Young

I Loved Silver and grays in the 1960's and 70's. My problem stems from every damn car today with few exceptions is white,silver,gray or black and that has soured me to those colors. The fact that you have chosen a Cadillac color from a previous year is well within what a person ordering the car new could have done , I say well done. In the final analysis also this car belongs to you and you can do what ever you wish. I envy you , my dream car is a 1955 Cadillac Eldorado in Bahama Blue with white top and blue and white interior with Autronic Eye. That will NEVER happen. All the best

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Bill never say never.........

mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

Bill, I have a '56 with those colors; you may have it...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

D.Smith

Looks good in silver to me.   Unlike today, silver back then was not common. 

walt chomosh #23510

Hi guys,
  My 1955CDV was black from the factory but I decided on gray due to the body not being as straight as I would have liked.(it's my car and I can paint it any color I want!) The "slate gray" was used by GM in the 90s I believe....walt...tulsa,ok

Roger Zimmermann

Walt, the car is good looking with those wire wheels!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Walt.
If I was to repaint, that is exactly the color I would pick.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The cars your showing here are 1955 gray with a white top or a 1970 light gray/silver with a black vinyl top, the grays look nice......but...

This 1955 Eldorado is near new and is painted Silver Metallic...........I find it hard to see where the chrome stops and the body starts, where the stainless starts and stops...........throw the sabre wheels and the hard boot in there and the car looks like a shiny new dime......unusual yes but a little too much no?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Barry M Wheeler #2189

One reason you see a lot of silver and black...Cadillacs at least... is that they are the only two colors they don't stiff you at least $500 extra to pick something else. (How can you have a "free" standard black and another premium one that they charge you extra for?)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Young

Thank You Mike and Roger , but I am a realist. To quote a line from the Great Gatsby " Rich girls don't marry poor boys "

Mike Baillargeon #15848

LOL!........Bill what does that mean?........lol

mike
Mike
Baillargeon