News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Check your vacuum wiper filter

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, April 17, 2018, 10:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good morning all. As many I have seen on the forum, the wipers on the 1955 need a rebuild. I fugure it couldn't hurt to open mine up and see if I could do anything. Well, the little foam type filter was horrible. It was disintegrating. When I touched it, parts turned to dust. Even if you don't use the wipers, inherent leaks in the system means the engine is breathing this filter dust..... Just fyi.
Also, I see places that will rebuild the wiper motors but if anyone knows where I can find a reasonably priced rebuild kit, let me know. I have found several but all different vehicles. The wiper motor has patents all over it but I can't find a part # to cross refrence.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jay Friedman

In my experience those wiper motors are tricky, so my feeling is "why bother".  A really good wiper motor rebuilder is www.wiperman.com in New York, whose costs are reasonable and who, of course, has all the parts.  He did my '49's wiper motor some years ago and at the same time I replaced all the hoses.  It works so well that unless I'm going up a hill or am in some other low vacuum situation, I leave the wiper button at about halfway open.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

papas52cad

Hi Jeff
I had Ficken’s, I.e the wiper an restore my 52 wiper motor which hardly worked , it wa she best $100 ever spent and I had it back in less than a week. Some said it Worked better than when it was new!!  Fortunate for me we lived on LI and we happened to visiting family so I was able to drop it off.
Do yourself a favor, have him do the work, you won’t be disappointed.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Jay Friedman

I was once told that Mr. Ficken (wiperman.com) bought up all the Trico parts, etc. when the company went out of business.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."