News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Shakeup at Cadillac

Started by T J Lankes, April 18, 2018, 02:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke17

I'm surprised he lasted that long. With this age of immediate gratification he didn't seem to fit the bill to make sure Cadillac was on the forefront.
John Federico

Big Apple Caddy

It will be interesting to see how this management change affects future product direction.  The article, and others like it, seems to point to a desire or need for greater emphasis on crossovers and SUVs (no surprise) but I thought that was basically the plan already although I guess now it will be at a faster pace.

I wonder which sedans will be left......CT5?  CT6?  Will the Escala/CT8 still go into production?

James Landi

We've mused often on this blog  about the "Dare Greatly" marketing ploy... it seemed so very defensive... as if the appeal to a recent younger generation of luxury car  buyers had to be "daring" to buy a Cadillac and not to buy a  foreign  brand luxury car that is so much more "socially accepted." Frankly, I found the gritty urban settings odd and off-putting.  And of course, the  media "car critics" continue to find some niggling flaw with every new Cadillac design, so that Cadillac never seems to beat out the foreign brands. We can only hope that the new gentleman will take a different tack with the marketing.   

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

"Dare Greatly" is by far the dumbest, hollowest, most uninspired and confidence-lacking tagline I've ever heard. If the award for coming up with it was a bowl of soup, it would be too much.

It should be euthanized - greatly.  ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chas

$5,000 rebate on new XTS’s expires April 30th. Will be interesting to see what happens May 1st.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

James Landi

The "brand flip" with Cadillac has been well discussed on this site, and started 40 years ago...  and it's interesting to note that during the early 2000's, the "Break Through" tag line was, in the way Eric describes "Dare Greatly," both an announcement of something new CTS and XLR, but also a tacit apology for what came before. By way of contrast, we all fondly remember the initial ads for the newly introduced first generation Eldorado back in 1967,  An older passenger in a limousine, smiling admiringly at the youthful profile of the new sporty Eldo...   no apology, no lack of confidence...   

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I get to New York, I am definitely going to have to visit the Cadillac HQ and see for myself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Young

Don't get too excited , it's not likely that they will stop producing Audi and Mercedes Benz look alike's. Cadillac has been long dead to me. Sorry , they said a few years ago that they were abandoning their traditional market. They have been successful .

wrench

To me, the issues aren't limited to the senior management.

My experience buying a certified pre-owned late model Cadillac (2014 SRX) was a huge Charlie Foxtrot.

The Cadillac dealer I dealt with is not capable of dealing with the expectations of a high end clientele.

Not that I am a high end client, on the contrary, they didn't even approach satisfying my humble needs.

So, regardless of the design or the management, if the dealers are chumps, you ain't gonna sell anything to anybody.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

59-in-pieces

I have reported directly to several large corporate boards in my days (not meant to be a brag) and never have I seen a Chairman give anybody 10 years to turn a company around (as De N. stated it would take) - it's more than time to dump De N...
Now let's see if the 30 or so Marketing Flash is next - Dare Greatly - spit.

I'm sure you all have seen a well needed uptick in the TV ads to include up beat, blood pounding, spirited  music - accessories displayed in jewellery cabinets - current cars driving along side of Cadillac's race car - and oh yes, driving outside of the grungy New York backdrops.

I say - get more concept design elements into the production and augment the non-SUV's (coupes & Sedans) and ADD A CONVERTIBLE FOR GOD's SAKE.

Make it so.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

James Landi

Steve,

You and I know the Cadillac has already produced the ultimate  hand built roadster ...simply impossible to design a better one that sports 4 tires and runs on roads!  Happy day, James

Chuck Patton

Ladies and gentlemen

Only a neanderthal wishes to go backwards.  Life moves onward.  Cadillac must globally focus forward with successful products for Women, Gen Xers and Millennials.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Cadillac will become Cadillac again when they start building Cadillac's again.

Cadillac is a huge, obnoxious, in-your-face, "F you, I'm a somebody and you're not" - car.
Anyone with a paper route can lease an Audi or a Beemer....

When Cadillac goes back to building the land yacht, rolling living room, gas guzzling, ostentatious, dazzling eye catchers that are their own area code and scream "I'm successful", while making the less successful turn their eyes with a scowl and a frown - Cadillac will be back.

With emissions and MPG mandates fortunately being neutered in this country for the next 7 years, here's Cadillac's chance to build Cadillac's again.

Cadillac was always a status symbol and never intended for secretaries or landscapers. GM needs to go back there. Has Rolls/Bentley come out with a CUV? Ferrari? Why is that... They stick solely with what they do best.

As always, JMHO.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 19, 2018, 12:56:00 AM
Cadillac will become Cadillac again when they start building Cadillac's again.

Cadillac is a huge, obnoxious, in-your-face, "F you, I'm a somebody and you're not" - car.
Anyone with a paper route can lease an Audi or a Beemer....

When Cadillac goes back to building the land yacht, rolling living room, gas guzzling, ostentatious, dazzling eye catchers that are their own area code and scream "I'm successful", while making the less successful turn their eyes with a scowl and a frown - Cadillac will be back.

With emissions and MPG mandates fortunately being neutered in this country for the next 7 years, here's Cadillac's chance to build Cadillac's again.

Cadillac was always a status symbol and never intended for secretaries or landscapers. GM needs to go back there. Has Rolls/Bentley come out with a CUV? Ferrari? Why is that... They stick solely with what they do best.

As always, JMHO.

\m/
Laurie

I love this post, spoken like true Cadillac’R!! When Cadillac decided to focus on attracting young urban professionals, is when they lost that match.

I don’t understand what’s the big deal at attracting an older clientele? These are the potential customers you want to be in your showrooms anyways as they have the money to spend, not young 20 and 30 something’s.

Good thing Mr. Nysschen is gone, he has lead Cadillac down the wrong path and started the whole lame “dare greatly” marketing campaign that did absolutely nothing to elevate the brand.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Big Apple Caddy

As far as sales numbers go, which is what the media seems to focus on most when determining success/failure of a brand, I think part of the problem is that Cadillac didn't "dare greatly" faster in the U.S. and abandon their once traditional market sooner (e.g., separating themselves more from the old man car, land yacht image) and move more aggressively into crossovers/SUVs.  As much as many classic enthusiast would like it to be, today's market unfortunately isn't the same as it was decades ago so assuming what once worked in the past will work in the future is a mistake.  Both Cadillac and Lincoln are in tough positions in that they are both so associated with sedans, especially large sedans, in a marketplace moving quickly away from those types of vehicles.

One can only hope, at least in my opinion, that today's crossover/SUVs obsession diminishes and there's a shift back to sedans and personal coupes again but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Scot Minesinger

I always thought it was nuts to move the headquarters of Cadillac to NY, as if relocating the office would accomplish anything!!??  The showcase Cadillac house in NY City - really did that help sell more Cadillacs? 

The naming convention everyone complains about is inconsequential to sales.  If changing the name of a Cadillac model to Fleetwood would sell more Cadillacs they would do it.  I do not care for the names, but it does not bother me enough to influence a buying decision.  I like the CT6 with a V-8 (the Platinum version, not V), but it is real complicated - probably will lease it if I get one.

It will be interesting to see what Cadillac comes up with now going forward.

Could not agree with Steve B more, BUILD A CONVERTIBLE (make a four passenger with a V-8 RWD).  Every other luxury make Cadillac seeks to emulate has one - just re-skin the Camaro (ATS platform), drop a V-8 in it, stretch it a bit and call it an Eldorado.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

WTL

Without getting into model types, I think Cadillac suffers from a conflicted conception of what it's spirit is supposed to be. 

I think graceful, opulent and fun can all go together with a technologically top notch product...and that can be incorporated into whatever...suv, convertible, small sedan or large.  If the SUV craze had happened in 1953, you can bet Cadillac would have been able to own it. 

With respect to young vs. old, I'm a millennial.  We want to see a car that owns what it is.  Same as most any group.  By all means, make the small suvs, but have them have grace, opulence and fun.  Gives us something top notch.  Hipsters like unique, quality things.  It's not this incomprehensible thing, represented by gritty, urban settings with chic accoutrements and doubletalk that outwardly means nothing...that only millenials understsnd....I mean maybe that's how a bewildered boomer sees us, but it's not really effective targeting.  We are people who like quality.  Just eat at a millennial run hipster spots, the food is top notch, because the ingredients are, and then it is put together cleverly with an eye to the whole.  Do that in a car. 

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on April 19, 2018, 02:21:34 AM
When Cadillac decided to focus on attracting young urban professionals, is when they lost that match.

...boom...

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 19, 2018, 08:32:49 AM
I always thought it was nuts to move the headquarters of Cadillac to NY, as if relocating the office would accomplish anything!!??  The showcase Cadillac house in NY City - really did that help sell more Cadillacs?

I think a decent part of it was about image overseas (China) and playing up NYC's more upscale, prestigious, trendy, etc image with the global market.  I don't know that typical U.S. buyers cared that much one way or another and I'm sure more than a few Cadillac shoppers didn't/don't even know the HQ was moved.

China is now Cadillac's largest market with sales up more than 50% last year.