News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 4 door

Started by D21smith, April 18, 2018, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D21smith

Recently found 4 door 1942 for sale owner overhauled engine, and had body work done then primed and has set inside since for several years I bought it over phone with understanding it was a complete car when restoration started. I'm going to go get it in couple days and was curious if the old girl should be finished or parted out??? Any input, suggestions? Thank you

D21smith

Pictures

The Tassie Devil(le)

What a question.

Of course it should be finished.

And, Parting it out will definitely finish it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrench

Basket case rules in effect
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

gary griffin

I hope you got all of the parts that are not in the pictures. I have been restoring a 1942   6729 for years and finding the parts can be difficult.  I am in the directory if you want any specific 1942 information.

What series is it??

Parting it out at this stage would be awful. So few customers for 1942 only parts.  If you finish it you will probably see one gong the other way on the freeway. First thing would be to get a authenticity manual and send in the numbers and get the data for that specific car.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Hansen

This is a model 6069 four-door sedan AKA Sixty Special.  I don't have specific production numbers handy at the moment.  I will post them tonight.  But, ANYTHING from model year 1942 is RARE. 

As Gary mentioned, completeness is important.  Some parts are difficult to locate and when you do find them, they can be pricey.  Mechanical bits are not a big deal.  Trim pieces, on the other hand, will be difficult to find if any are missing.  Some are specific to that car.

Whether or not you finish it or part it out is entirely up to you.  If the body is sound, it could be a really nice project vehicle.  I personally would like to see it restored, but it isn't my car or my money.

Good luck regardless of the path you take!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jeff Hansen

Sorry for the delay in posting the promised production figures:

1942 Series 6069 (5-passenger sedan):  1684 cars
1942 Series 6069F (5-passenger Imperial sedan):  190 cars

I can't tell if the car picture is the Imperial Sedan model (6069F) or not.  Since the interior appears to be gutted, the body tag will tell.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bobby B

Quote from: D21smith on April 18, 2018, 07:49:20 PM
Recently found 4 door 1942 for sale owner overhauled engine, and had body work done then primed and has set inside since for several years I bought it over phone with understanding it was a complete car when restoration started. I'm going to go get it in couple days and was curious if the old girl should be finished or parted out??? Any input, suggestions? Thank you

Just out of curiosity....Why would you purchase something like that without going to look at it first, or having a game plan/budget as to what path you want to pursue with this vehicle? I would've looked into it a little more rather than relying on opinions. These era cars have been declining in interest and value over the past few years.
                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

D21smith

Went and picked up car today, WOW!!!!!!! purchased for 10% over scrap price owner handed me $82xx in receipts for work done in 1986 by his great uncle who left it to him, including all body work done, primed, motor rebuilt , new wiring harness, new glass, brakes rebuilt, frame blasted, painted,  etc..... everything's bagged and tagged inside of car all trim, etc looks to be there  sad its been in same family since new and none of family cared about it at all several extra parts like manifolds, carbs, air cleaners etc.... after i get everything out and organized I'll post updates it will be getting finished. Thank you

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gary griffin

David,

I hope you will consider joining the club. We need more 1942 participation.  At this time there are only 52 members with 1942's.  One of the lowest numbers in the directory.  Of course that is due to no cars being built during the war. My car was finished and shipped from the factory 4 days before  Pearl Harbor.  Invest $50 as I recall and find out more about your car as I did. I am guessing my car was on a train to Reno Nevada on Pearl Harbor day.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Hansen

Congrats David!  That's a wonderful find!!

Yes, catalog everything and take LOTS of photos.  Post a photo of the body tag (on the side of the cowl just forward of the driver's door) when you have the opportunity.

The $50 that Gary is referring to is for the build sheet for your car.  More information on obtaining that is at this link:

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/page/VehicleAuth

This will tell you what your car was equipped with, what color it was painted, and what upholstery it had when it left the factory.

You can also get more information from the GM Heritage Center on 1942s at this link:

https://gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1942_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

Be patient when you hit the link; it's a large file.

Please keep us updated.  We like photos and we love to help!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Is it a standard or automatic transmission??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

D21smith

It has the hydra matic transmission the cowl appears to have been replaced at one point with a new one or sandblasted because it is clean and painted, they might have removed the tag and put in the parts pile, there are holes where the tag was but it's not currently on the cowl? Hopefully the trim tag is in the pile of parts inside of the car I haven't got the chance to unload them yet

D21smith

I see there is a st. Louis chapter this car has been in the st Louis area for a very long time any chance the owner was known by anyone on here his name was Lou Maull.  Probably a long shot but curious

Tom Boehm

I am originally from St. Louis. Could Lou Maull be the same Louis Maull of Maull's Barbecue Sauce? Local brand.

D21smith

after further investigation yes it is the barbeque Lou mall's.  It was the last car they sold from his collection. After a preliminary search the tag appears to have been removed before sandblasting and is missing. My question is can a build sheet or reproduction tag be found off of the frame serial number? I don't know if it's the original 346 or not? The frame number is 6380936. And the engine number is *8420826. Any help is greatly appreciated I'm wanting to get car on the road and drive her again it appears to be complete.  Thank you

Steve Passmore

You can get a build sheet from the frame number, however, it's not the original engine. It would have been the same number as the chassis. The engine starting 842 is from a 1947 62 series car.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Hansen

David,

You can get a reproduction body tag from A. G. Backeast (http://www.datatags.com/).  He advertises occasionally in The Self-Starter.  They will stamp it for you.  You will need data from the build sheet to accurately recreate the body tag (body number, trim code, paint code, any accessory codes).  As Steve mentioned, use the frame number you found to get your build sheet.  If you use the number on the engine, you will get the wrong sheet.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

jyinger

Hi David.

I just found your original posting---I'm only 1 year late responding!

I am another of those rare 1942 Cadillac owners.  Mine is a series 61 and we are just beginning restoration.  Mine is virtually complete, except for many of the trim pieces.  I have located almost all of them, and we are now at the point of doing a minor engine overhaul.  It runs, pretty well, actually, but it two of the cylinders are weak.  So we will clean up the valves, etc., and maybe--f the cylinders are in good shape--put in new rings.  The tranny seems to be working, but it is getting replaced with a professionally rebuilt '52 hydramatic.

We have already installed new front disk brakes, and just yesterday I bought all the parts to rebuilt the rear drum brakes.

So......Sally's restoration is well under way.

I am SO envious that you have a series 60!!  Lucky you.  But mine will be the nicest 1942 Series 61 when we're finished.

We should start a 1942 Cadillac group.  Any one else out there want to join us?

Jon

1942 Series 61
1949 two CDVs, one convert, one Fleetwood [three of them completely restored]
1952 Fleetwood [---only 9,000 original miles!--all original interior; exterior restored]
1958 Eldorado Brougham [pretty good shape, but it could use new paint and interior]
Jon Yinger