News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cam Slippage

Started by 67 Cadillac, April 20, 2018, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 Cadillac

I googled CAM SLIPPING FORWARD and this came up from the forum (below) from many years ago. There was a knock or scraping noise coming from the engine when I bought my 67 Eldo. The previous owner had the engine pulled apart twice and they couldn't find the problem. When I took the front cover off I found that there was an abrasion on the inside where the end of the cam had been rubbing. I figured this shouldn't be the case but couldn't figure out why this was happening. So I googled and problem solved. The cam gear had the wrong bolts in it. I wouldn't have found that out until I took the cam out and saw the marks on the block. After reading that sometimes the bolts can be misplaced I looked at the end of the bolts closely and found that they had been worn down to a shiny finish. The correct bolts are in now and it's almost back together.
I'm here today to thank you guys for your great wisdom.....so THANKS A TON!!!!! Also I have some questions that someone may be able to answer.
1) Does anyone know the size of the bolt that goes into the snout of the crank shaft and if it is a course or fine thread and if it should stay in after assembly?
2)What does the fuel vent hose (return) hook up to at the front of the car? Where does the fuel filter go on an Eldorado and what type is used?
3) I have two fuel pumps, a Carter and an AC. Which one is better and or correct. Neither has a provision for the vent hose???
4) Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a NOS lower radiator hose?

Again, thank you very much.
Cheers
Jeff

savemy67

Hello Jeff,

If I recall correctly,  the crank snout bolt is 9/16-18 (fine thread), but please wait for confirmation.  There may or may not be a cork in the crank snout opening.  It was originally put in place by the factory to protect the threads in the snout.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jeff,

Yes, it is 9/16" fine thread, and only needs to be about 1" long.

When I am finished with what I was doing, I leave the bolt in place, with a heavy duty washer under the head, and use it as a future means of manually rotating the crankshaft.

The Fuel Filter is in the bottom of the fuel pump, and most probably another one, of the sintered bronze type, under the big inlet nut in the front of the Carby.

The smaller hose of the fuel pump goes to the return line to the fuel tank.   There should be two pipes clumped together on the front crossmember.   The larger is the fuel supply line from the tank.

Lower Radiator Hoses can be obtained from Rock Auto.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I merged the threads together, and removed the one from the earlier thread.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I had the same exact problem with my rebuild. I believe the bolts that hold the oil pickup tube are the same but just a hair longer and they get confused.
If your crank bolt is the same as a 472 it us a 9/16 fine threaded bolt.... but some days memory is better than others. There was a cork plug that covered the bolt but if it has been rebuilt it is probably gone.
My car ran for less than 3 seconds on its first start after rebuild with the cam moving this way.... just long enough to start it, realize something was bad and shut it off. In that short time the bearings in my distributor were trashed. Be sure to check yours.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have suffered the "wrong bolts in the Cam" dilemma, and in the Eldorado, everything HAS to come out again.

The only good part of the deal is that you know EXACTLY what tools to use, and all the fastenings come apart easily.

The worst thing is when one hears the horrible noise, deciding what one has done wrong.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

67 Cadillac

Thanks again for your help guys. Bruce, when you mention the smaller hose coming from the fuel pump i don't have one. Both of the pumps i have only have fuel in and out, that's it, no vent. My vent hose was just hanging there with a bolt in it. Do i have the wrong fuel pump?
Jeff

Glen

I have to disagree with Bruce, the fuel filter in the pump was a later thing.  The first attachment is from the shop manual and shows the location of the filter.  The second list the AC part number for the filter, it depends on if your car has A/C or not.   
The last is also from the shop manual.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

That's okay Glen,

I am not used to working with "older" cars. ;)   I forgot it was a '67.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

67 Cadillac

I think that makes it pretty clear! Thanks Glen and thanks again to everyone else.
Jeff