News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A rare and disappearing breed (Mechanics)

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, April 22, 2018, 11:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveZ

Sorry for your loss, but at least he was able to share his knowledge with others and it can be passed on. The first car I ever worked on was a 1932 LaSalle. I helped my father do a valve job. I was about 11 and never stopped. He learned form his Uncle growing up. Pops dad had a 1930 LaSalle and his uncle had a Cadillac. Pops is a wealth of Cadillac / LaSalle knowledge for prewar cars and I have been fortunate enough to to have him to this day. He will be 89 in May and is still working on them, although he does do a lot of supervising.  I am very blessed.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

gary griffin

I like this post.  For my first motor vehicle I purchased a 1948 Cushman Truckster with 2 wheels in front and one driven wheel in back. It had 4 HP and a frozen engine. My stepfather did not know how to open the hood to check the oil but a family friend with only a thumb and one finger on his right hand had been a mechanic and helped me get it going giving me lessons all of the way through the project.  Basic 4 HP one cylinder with automatic clutch. Weights on the clutch created more friction as RPM's increased. I took 2 years of "Auto Shop" in high school and in the Army reserves I was in a Tug Boat company and they sent me to San Diego for a "Transition" school as I had passed the tests for gas engines. I never worked as a mechanic but had good understanding of engines prior to the "Electronic revolution"  Now we can buy a "Ap" for our cell phones and plug it into our phones so "Parts Changers" can discover which parts to change to make the car run correctly.  WHAT NEXT??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver