News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

scratched my windshield, someone just shoot me...

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, April 24, 2018, 01:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I notice today a scratch that follows the pax side wiper. Must have happened when I was moving the wipers to work on the cowl, I could just die. Tried to clean it, rubbed it with paint thinner, nothing. I can 'feel' it slightly with my finger nail so its in the glass. Must have been some debris on the wiper when I moved them. I'm heartbroken. Can this be fixed? Made less worse? 

:'(

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

C Gorgas

I purchased a car and it had wiper blade scratch across the windshield. I have spent about 15 minutes a day for 3 days a week for a couple of months removing the scratch using a product from Eastmans. They have a kit for polishing and it works fine; you have to be patient though. Chet 25441 

Dan LeBlanc

If it's not too bad, a little cerium oxide on the correct glass polishing pad should do the trick. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jaxops

If you polish the window, keep it wet and cool whatever you do!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

wrench

Sorry to hear about your windshield scratch.

How bad is it, really?

I have small scratches on two of my windshields.

I just stopped worrying about them, they are only noticeable at the right conditions.

I have contemplated polishing them out, but they tended to minimize in my mind over time.

I guess what I am saying is to put things in perspective and don't feel bad about it.

Stuff happens. Only I don't mean 'stuff'...

I don't do super duper paint jobs because I drive my cars.

I don't want a scratch in the paint or say a windshield to ruin my day.

I certainly don't want something like that to affect the way I feel about myself or a loved one.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Laurie, If you have to get it taken care of "right away," there are services that should be in your Yellow Pages that will take care of the scratch. And please, stop berating yourself. We've all done things to our cars and valuable things we own. When I was still working, a policeman working as a Mall Security Guard came in one evening, and showed me a mint 1911 Colt. Beautiful deep Colt bluing on the pistol...Except for a scratch on the LH side.

One evening, he was re-assembling it after cleaning and trying to get the slide catch to go back in. His wife was holding the pistol (or he was) and the other had a screwdriver to guide the part back in. Well, it slipped.

Well, he didn't shoot her, as he finally rose to become Chief of Police in our town. Just relax and either you fix it later, or have it done. It'll be OK.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Laurie I feel your pain :( Happened to Lexi as well. I think Jim (wrench) Cullen and Barry's comments probably put it best. Still, not a happy day when stuff like this happens. Clay/Lexi  \m/

35-709

If you don't want to tackle it, a local auto glass company should be able to polish it out for you or at least make it lees noticeable.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chas

The fella's here are correct: If the scratch is not too deep, a good glass place can polish it out. However, you have a decision to make. Any polishing means you're removing material, if ever so slight. I've seen scratches polished out where afterward, there was distortion when looking through the glass. Ask yourself what is the lesser of two evils? The scratch. or a bit of a wavy view?
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

metalblessing

if only i could polish out the bullet holes in mine
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We have all been there.
Actually, a few years from now the pain will be less, and you will have a good story.
Just smile and drive.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You folks are the best....
Putting the hemlock back into the fridge.

Finding out The Ark is finally going into the shop for the remaining engine work on Thursday made
me feel better. My mech does amazing work on headlights, polishing them, I know they're the plastic ones.
Maybe he can fix this.

Thanks again folks, I really mean it.
Love you all and God Bless you and your cars.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 24, 2018, 10:33:51 AM
Laurie, If you have to get it taken care of "right away," there are services that should be in your Yellow Pages that will take care of the scratch. And please, stop berating yourself. We've all done things to our cars and valuable things we own. When I was still working, a policeman working as a Mall Security Guard came in one evening, and showed me a mint 1911 Colt. Beautiful deep Colt bluing on the pistol...Except for a scratch on the LH side.

One evening, he was re-assembling it after cleaning and trying to get the slide catch to go back in. His wife was holding the pistol (or he was) and the other had a screwdriver to guide the part back in. Well, it slipped.

Well, he didn't shoot her, as he finally rose to become Chief of Police in our town. Just relax and either you fix it later, or have it done. It'll be OK.

Easiest way to get the slide stop back in to a stock 1911 is point the muzzle upward while pulling the slide back out of battery just enough to expose the hole in the link through the frame. It will pop right in.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Lexi

"Putting the hemlock back into the fridge." ...Laurie you are hilarious. Clay/Lexi \m/