News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Management of multiple classic Cadillacs

Started by Scot Minesinger, April 23, 2018, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Our hobby has room for everyone, and this ranges from collectors with no classics to collectors who have more than 30 classic cars.  The span also includes one classic barely restore-able to multiple perfect examples in spectacular mechanical condition.

My question is to the multiple classic owners - how do you maintain them in good mechanical repair which requires driving them?  True you could hire someone to drive them for you, but what would be the point of that?

I have three 1970 Cadillacs all good mechanically and it is a challenge to drive them all 20 miles each week as part of the routine that keeps them in good repair.  Then there is the space issue - find that this seems to be the limiting factor for most collectors.

How do the multiple classic car owners manage the quality (garage climate controlled ideally) space/storage and continuous gentle use issue so critical to the preservation of the classic Cadillacs?

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The answer is that I force myself. Not that I have many but the 55 is living at home because it is constantly being worked on. The 70 is in dad's hanger due to space issues. Fortune try it is somewhat on my way to work so on days where I can miss traffic I will trade my Accord for the 70. When I do it is about 90% highway so I run her 'hard' (I accelerate somewhat gently to make it easier on the original transmission but once in 3rd gear I open it up to open the back barrels). I don't like the 70 in traffic much because I have an ugly merge and it is hard to see anything in my 3 -6 o'clock position.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bill Young

Not to be off topic but I don't own a garage and cannot afford storage so my car sits outside under a car cover and I drive it frequently as well as keep it waxed and polished and dry .

z3skybolt

You guys....

....need someone to put miles on your fabulous classic.....just give me a call.

Bob 8)
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

wrench

Over the years I have managed Fleet maintenance...

I keep notes for each vehicle (a log book if you will).

Inspections, Discrepancies, oil changes, tire pressures fuel stabilizer etc.

I drive them as much as I can depending on the weather. I have a three car garage at home and I rent an inexpensive garage space about 20 minutes from my house. Just the run back and forth between the house and the garage keeps the vehicles up and running.

I usually plan out runs and maintenance action ahead of time so when I bring one from the garage to the house, I try to address one or more discrepancies or maintenance items when it is at the house. When I have downtime I am always thinking and planning actions looking at parts logistics and necessary equipment.

I watch the weather forecast to time the events to take advantage of dry spells and also have covers for each vehicle if necessary for logistics.

Also, I cut the cord 5 years ago and spend very little time watching TV. It sucks up your time and brain cells.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

All my cars are drivers, driven by myself and/or my wife.  They are regular transportation and are "outdoor cats". If I wanted to collect "treasures" I would buy artwork.  I enjoy these cars every day.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

marty55cdv

Scott as John Washburn loves to say "glad it's just a hobby".    I don't know if I feel any of my cars need to be driven a certain amount of miles during the year to keep them in top shape. The last two cars I bought had both been sitting for a very long time 20 + years. After  getting them running well and changing fluids inspecting brakes, replacing shocks, and tires,  I tend to just repair stuff that comes up. I don't believe in starting them in the winter, which in Utah is really only from December to March . I take them to cruise nights , weekend car shows etc to get some miles on them during the summer. The only climate control in my garage is a heater that I only use when it is cold to keep my self warm while working / (hiding)  out there. I don't think the cars much care. It's very dry here in Salt Lake and moisture is not an issue.   The biggest problem is  having to shuffle them around to get the one I want to drive next in position the night before, but that issue should be in the garage thread .  I spent some of this winter putting the chrome strips and polishing the grill on my newest find which was last driven in 1984. So I at least kept the others company a little :) 
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

You are in a great situation living in TX and retired.  If I move to a no salt the roads dry area after I retire, probably will press my 1970 Cadillacs into daily service and use them as regular transportation too.  Virginia gets cold and the salt now applied on the roads reminds me of Cleveland, OH where I grew up.  It all depends upon where my kids relocate as for my final retirement location.  Any 1970 decade American made car driven daily in this area would be rusted away after a few years.  I remember in Cleveland it was noting for a 3 or 4 year old car to have rust thru holes in bottom of front fenders and rear quarter panels.  And a 7 year old car was old.  Now a 15 year year old car is old, and a 7 year old car is fairly new.

Enjoy your great situation!

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

walt chomosh #23510

Scot,
  I have plenty of toys to keep me busy to the extreme. (vintage Harleys,Airstreams,Cadillacs,and Doberman Pinchers) Living in Tulsa is great because of the rare snow and driving climate practically all year round. I know rust,being originally from western Pa and living in Detroit for 10yrs. Quick story about Cleveland: a workmate of mine lived there and the floor was so rotted on his car that he installed a wooden plank and bolted his seat to it! The the day came that he had a tremendous collision and he swears that the plank saved his life! While living in the motor city, I once bought a complete running 289 HiPo mustang for $150. Problem was the trunk had rotted and both rear spring shackles were up thru the floor exposed in the trunk! This was common in that state and city.....sure am glad I live in Tulsa....walt...ps. when the time comes that your toys become a burden, it's time to consider scaling down....

James Landi

"ps. when the time comes that your toys become a burden, it's time to consider scaling down.."

Walt makes an important point.  I owned four Cadillacs ten years ago... Kristina and I were independent, private school people, and jobs for us crop up throughout the country.  Executive decision some years ago:  I had to reduce the number of cars to simplify the moves and not have to rent covered space for the aging fleet.  Now at age 72, I immensely  enjoy this web site, and thanks to some conscientious  club members, I get to read what's available for sale on Craig's list,  and  I live vicariously, if only for a few minutes, thinking how my life would be changed driving one of those old girls down the highway, and feeling that special pride of ownership in a beautiful old Cadillac.  Happy day,  James

raugusti

On a related note, does anyone have a suggestion for a good 'Fleet' maintenance software?  Some of my cars have log books, I have clip boards for some, and a white board in the garage I write needed maintenance on, I'd like to centralize things electronically.  Maybe even be able to digitize and attach some of the paperwork that goes with them.  I've started an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for each car, but if there is something better I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

This is the software that I have been using for the last 30 years.
GregSurfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

wrench

Quote from: raugusti on April 25, 2018, 09:16:52 AM
On a related note, does anyone have a suggestion for a good 'Fleet' maintenance software?  Some of my cars have log books, I have clip boards for some, and a white board in the garage I write needed maintenance on, I'd like to centralize things electronically.  Maybe even be able to digitize and attach some of the paperwork that goes with them.  I've started an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for each car, but if there is something better I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Thanks
Scott

While i think your idea has merit, consider the following:

I work with a very sophisticated electronic maintenance tracking software package at work and I still need handwritten notes to organize prior to data entry.

So, my suggestion is a manila file folder system, you know, the original ones that are the model for the desktop icons. Have one for invoices, one for discrepancy lists and plans for addressing them (research etc.) and one for title and insurance documents. For more than 1 car, have this file system duplicated for each of them. I use binder clips to hold the folders to each other for each vehicle and then use an accordion file to hold the lot. One of the wonderful things I have learned about working with manila file folders is that you can write on them and keep dates and mileages written right on the folder itself. Amazing invention those folders are.

Data entry is just another layer of time and effort unnecessary to the task other than providing computerized calendar reminders, the way I deal with that is all tasks are annual rather than calendar or mileage. Since the classics are relatively low utilization , I just do annual tasks twice a year, spring and fall. Putting away for storage and return to service after storage. I do monthly tasks based on the first of the month while they are in storage. (Another philosophical discussion).

The only major problem with the system I described is that at any given point in time you could add up the costs associated with a vehicle in about 5 minutes.

It would really suck to find out that number. I have done that on occasion. It usually pretty ugly.

There is such a thing as being too organized.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

D.Yaros

Quote from: raugusti on April 25, 2018, 09:16:52 AM
On a related note, does anyone have a suggestion for a good 'Fleet' maintenance software? 

You can take a look at eMyCar-Monitor here ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGGKGl5TLQc&feature=youtu.be

I have the predecessor to this pgm (mcAutoTrack) and like it.

If you can find VMS (Vehicle Maintenance Software) I highly recommend it.  Trouble is, the author is no longer around and the program has disappeared from the net.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: wrench on April 25, 2018, 04:21:45 PM
The only major problem with the system I described is that at any given point in time you could add up the costs associated with a vehicle in about 5 minutes.
I did that when I got the 70. Kept costs on a nice little spreadsheet. Worked well........  until my wife found it.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

wrench

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on April 25, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
I did that when I got the 70. Kept costs on a nice little spreadsheet. Worked well........  until my wife found it.
Jeff

Yeah, excel is a killer program for this application. But you need a keypuncher or analyst to keep it current. And I am not 'that guy'.

And a cryptographer to keep your wife from finding it.

At one point I had a Maintenance Planner guy and he became a wiz at excel.

It worked great for maintenance tracking, especially once we developed/perfected the spreadsheets.

I just don't have the time for keying in the data when it is already written down, I just file the handwritten data.

At some point a computer filing system is redundant if you have to have a filing system to do the data entry anyway.

I hate to sound like a broken record on this, but it can't be emphasized enough.

I learned this by tracking fleet maintenance data in depth and for many years...maintenance tracking can be simplified as long as you don't listen to vendors trying to sell you a computer program that won't do what you want anyway.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX